Traffic manager becomes UK Banger racing champion
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
A Thetford man has become UK champion of an unusual sport - banger racing.
Tony Pallett, who works in traffic management, won the title on Saturday, September 29 at King’s Lynn’s Adrian Flux Arena.
The 33-year-old father came first in the Micro Banger Championship, and came second in the 1500CC Banger Final. He also won Gold Roof of the Year in 2016.
Banger racing’s aim is to be first across the finish line while ‘banging’ cars along the way. It is believed to have originated in the 1960s based on the fact many racing fans enjoy the crashes more than car racing itself.
Banger racing vehicles are normally scrap cars, but they can be constructed from almost any powered wheeled vehicle.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pallett said: “It’s a lucky dip where you start in the race. Banger racing is trying to finish the race without smashing your car to bits and win it as well. You smash people out of your way, but it all depends on your place.
“I’ve been trying to get this title for a few years now but haven’t managed it. I always seemed to get smashed up or someone gets in the way, but we did it this year, and we’ve got to try and defend it now.
- 1 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 2 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 8 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 9 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
- 10 Team GB athlete to inspire pupils to get healthy with visit to school
“We’ve got to have a Union Jack painted on the roof for 12 months.”
Mr Pallet’s victory is particularly poignant as his father, Geoff Pallett was a double UK champion. Geoff Pallett won in 1996 and 2001.
Tony Pallett said: “I get the cars of friends and family. I’ve been doing it since I was 16, so people know what I do.
“People I know who have old cars just ring up.
“I have a lot of support, the boy who comes and helps me with the cars, his whole family came to see me racing.
“My little girl Ellie May, she’s travelling with me, I can’t go without her. She loves the trophy.
“It’s a solo sport but we have team meetings at Trackstar Racing through the year. In December there is a national championship again in King’s Lynn - it’s the best track in England.
“Another great track in the region is Mildenhall, I’m very lucky I live in between two!”
Banger racing is primarily a European sport.
The Unlimited National Bangers Championship of the World takes place this Saturday at Foxhall Stadium, Ipswich.