Santa and his reindeer will arrive by river at town’s Christmas light switch-on
- Credit: Courtesy of Thetford Town Council
Families are being told to “keep your eyes on the water” as Santa and his reindeer will be arriving on the river at a town’s Christmas light switch-on.
Thetford's Winter Wonderland is back for another year, promising an even bigger and better event for the whole family.
The event will take place 4pm to 8pm, Friday, November 29, and through the day Saturday, November 30, with activities taking place all over the town.
But from 4pm the community have been told to make sure they are at the riverside and to keep their eyes pealed as Santa will arrive on his purpose built, floating sleigh, along with his elves and reindeer on paddleboards.
Chuck from Bush Adventures designed the floating sleigh ready for the event. He said: "With such a vital and important aspect to the town being the river, Santa and his elves and reindeer have decided he will be approaching the town from the water.
You may also want to watch:
"You will see a couple of reindeer on paddleboards and Santa on his sleigh. So keep your eyes on the water.
"If you fancy being part of our water team on paddleboards or kayak and want to dress as an elf or reindeer please get in touch."
- 1 Dog walker given £5,000 reward after finding stolen machinery
- 2 Seven lockdown rules that could change
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 5 Inquest opens into death of 32-year-old Anthony Hibble
- 6 Police looking for wanted west Suffolk man Darren Pountney
- 7 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 8 'I will not resign,' says councillor who broke Covid isolation
- 9 Teeny tiny property for sale for between £10,000-£20,000
- 10 Jail for man who attacked partner while she watched TV in bed
Families will be able to greet Santa before he is taken by his traditional sleigh and transported to Kings House to his workshop, from 5pm to 6pm, and for £2.50 children can meet him, take photos and are given Christmas present.
At Kings House, from 5pm, there will also be a timetable of story telling for children provided by Thetford library and Larry Gray's children's funfair will take place on market square, along with Christmas stalls along Kings Street.
From 4pm Zack FM will be entertaining the crowds with live music at Kings Square until 6pm when the Mayor of Thetford and Santa will arrive ready for the Christmas light switch on at 6.15pm.
Live music will also be at the riverside 6:30 until 8pm where they will be playing Disney classics.
Youngsters are also being encouraged to send a letter to Santa, organised by Chilterns Sales and Letting Agents, who have placed a letter box outside of the Carnegie rooms, where children will be sent personalised letters back.
David Brooks, who helped to organise the event, said: "We love it, Thetford and the public love it. We are looking forward to another year of celebrating the light switch on. This year the event is bigger and better."