‘To help the most vulnerable’ - Town’s new fighting fund decides where support is needed most
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
As a community project to help the most vulnerable starts to build momentum, focus has been turned to where funds will make the most difference.
More than three weeks after the launch of Thetford Shines Brighter, the Norfolk Community Foundation (NCF) say they have been overwhelmed with support from the community.
At the launch on October 17, the fund, to which anyone can contribute or apply to use, already stood at a staggering £50,000, and they have since gained more funding from businesses and individuals who wish to help.
Now the project has set up a front line team of professionals from police, education, health and housing, to identify where funding will make the most difference in Thetford.
Claire Cullens, chief executive of NCF, said: "This project is about tackling the problems, building on opportunities and identifying where it will bring long term change. It is completely community led, all we are doing is facilitating it.
You may also want to watch:
"Thetford Shines Brighter will build on the strengths of what is working well in the town, giving us a strong base from which to take action."
With support from the Eastern Daily Press and Thetford and Brandon Times, the project hopes to create "a Thetford fund for Thetford people" by supporting organisations that matter most to the people in the town.
- 1 Tributes flood in for Dad's Army superfan and family man Neville
- 2 Build of new school building could see more places for SEND children
- 3 Drug-driver's pickup cannoned off-duty detective's car into oncoming traffic
- 4 UEA expert in infectious diseases expects delay to 'Freedom Day'
- 5 Drunk inmate threatened to stab prison officer
- 6 Road reopens after crash between car and lorry
- 7 New date for trial of five accused of Thetford murder
- 8 New transporter bike for wheelchair users launched at Thetford Forest
- 9 Man, 18, arrested in connection with serious sexual assault
- 10 Task force to assess future developments of West Suffolk's markets
Discussions at the launch, attended by key figures from within the town, helped to identify Thetford's most pressing issues and it was concluded that 'fulfilling potential' was amongst the most important.
This was described as "building skills and improving access to opportunities that inspire young people, improving access to learning, employment and enrichment opportunities for all local people".
Other areas where it was decided more support is needed included, poverty and disadvantage, building capacity and growing local services, mental health and wellbeing and building stronger communities.
Ms Cullens added: "We have been overwhelmed by the support and there is a real desire amongst local people to come together and help the most vulnerable in the community.
"If we can work together and match this energy with more solid funding, Thetford will shine brighter, today and tomorrow."
To donate to the Thetford Shines Brighter fund, cheques payable to the Norfolk Community Foundation can be sent to St James Mill Whitefriars, NR3 1TN and mark cheques Thetford. To pay by standing order or bank transfer email firstname.lastname@example.org.