Thetford schools cycle to a healthy day
Three infant schools will head for the moon next month when they “cycle” 234,000 miles over five days.
The youngsters and their families will aim to prove they they are committed to a healthy lifestyle, by eating a healthy breakfast and learning the importance of bike safety.
Raleigh Infant School, Drake Infant School and Bishops CEVA School, all in Thetford, will take part.
Thetford Healthy Town manager, Carol Doherty, said: “We want to show children and families why it is so important to ride a bike which is properly maintained and why they should always wear a helmet. “We want to encourage cyclists to wear proper reflective clothing and explain why eating a breakfast is the best start for the day. Studies show that children who eat breakfast are more alert and perform better in school.
“A healthy breakfast doesn’t need to be extravagant or take a long time to prepare. Try something simple like a hard boiled egg, whole grain toast and 100pc fruit juice. “There’s nothing wrong with a bowl of whole-grain cereal, but try adding berries and low-fat milk. If you really don’t like to eat breakfast, you can split it up into two smaller meals. Eat a hard boiled egg at home, and an hour or two later, snack on an apple or a handful of healthy nuts like pecans or walnuts.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms Doherty and Thetford and Breckland councillor Carl Clark will attend assemblies at the schools to take part in Bike It Breakfasts and workshos in which pupils will learn basic bike maintenance.
- 1 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 2 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 3 Death of woman at country park being treated as 'isolated incident'
- 4 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 5 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 6 Seven months in prison for burglar who stole cash from church cafe
- 7 Overrunning roadworks temporarily closes part of A11
- 8 Burger and Italian restaurant set to open at town's riverside complex
- 9 Councillor accused of spreading 'damaging disinformation' on facemasks
- 10 Prince Philip's love of birds remembered at Thetford-based trust