Thetford schools cycle to a healthy day
Three infant schools will head for the moon next month when they “cycle” 234,000 miles over five days.
The youngsters and their families will aim to prove they they are committed to a healthy lifestyle, by eating a healthy breakfast and learning the importance of bike safety.
Raleigh Infant School, Drake Infant School and Bishops CEVA School, all in Thetford, will take part.
Thetford Healthy Town manager, Carol Doherty, said: “We want to show children and families why it is so important to ride a bike which is properly maintained and why they should always wear a helmet. “We want to encourage cyclists to wear proper reflective clothing and explain why eating a breakfast is the best start for the day. Studies show that children who eat breakfast are more alert and perform better in school.
“A healthy breakfast doesn’t need to be extravagant or take a long time to prepare. Try something simple like a hard boiled egg, whole grain toast and 100pc fruit juice. “There’s nothing wrong with a bowl of whole-grain cereal, but try adding berries and low-fat milk. If you really don’t like to eat breakfast, you can split it up into two smaller meals. Eat a hard boiled egg at home, and an hour or two later, snack on an apple or a handful of healthy nuts like pecans or walnuts.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms Doherty and Thetford and Breckland councillor Carl Clark will attend assemblies at the schools to take part in Bike It Breakfasts and workshos in which pupils will learn basic bike maintenance.
- 1 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 2 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Man rescued from van after collision with tractor
- 5 'Extensive damage' caused as business centre is flooded
- 6 Parts of Thetford hit by flooding due to heavy rain
- 7 Cows cause congestion after wandering into RAF Lakenheath viewing area
- 8 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 9 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 10 Car crashes into central reservation on A11