Thetford riverside to get a cash boost
Some �1m has been pledged towards a redevelopment project in Thetford by Norfolk County Council.
The Riverside regeneration area of Thetford has been identified in the town’s Area Action Plan as key to boosting the town’s economic fortunes, with proposals including a hotel as the anchor tenant, plus shops, cinema and a training restaurant providing opportunities for careers in catering for young people.
It would create around 100 jobs and help attract inward investment into other parts of the town.
County council cabinet member for economic development, Ann Steward, said: “The county council fully recognises the importance of the riverside regeneration project to the wider development of Thetford.
“I’m therefore pleased to say that, in principle, we are willing to support the project, with a �1m investment from the Norfolk Infrastructure Fund.
“We are still discussing the details of our partnership with Breckland Council.
“The investment is also subject to review, pending the outcome of the Secretary of State’s decision on Norfolk’s waste PFI credits, which will clearly have significant implications for our ability to fund investments of this kind.”
- 1 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 5 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 6 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 7 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Power tools stolen after van broken into
Just last week the Times reported on an undisclosed amount of cash which had been released from Breckland Council, and match-funded by Norfolk County Council, to fund a planning document which will now be drawn up for the works at the riverside site.
The application is expected to take six-months to draw up and is likely to be submitted in spring, 2012.
Chair of the Moving Thetford Forward (MTF) Partnership, William Nunn, said: “The Riverside development will play an important role in the wider regeneration of Thetford, creating jobs and new facilities and helping to revitalise the town.
“Norfolk County Council is a key player in the MTF partnership and this significant contribution demonstrates their commitment to Thetford’s future.”