Thetford riverside to get a cash boost
Some �1m has been pledged towards a redevelopment project in Thetford by Norfolk County Council.
The Riverside regeneration area of Thetford has been identified in the town’s Area Action Plan as key to boosting the town’s economic fortunes, with proposals including a hotel as the anchor tenant, plus shops, cinema and a training restaurant providing opportunities for careers in catering for young people.
It would create around 100 jobs and help attract inward investment into other parts of the town.
County council cabinet member for economic development, Ann Steward, said: “The county council fully recognises the importance of the riverside regeneration project to the wider development of Thetford.
“I’m therefore pleased to say that, in principle, we are willing to support the project, with a �1m investment from the Norfolk Infrastructure Fund.
You may also want to watch:
“We are still discussing the details of our partnership with Breckland Council.
“The investment is also subject to review, pending the outcome of the Secretary of State’s decision on Norfolk’s waste PFI credits, which will clearly have significant implications for our ability to fund investments of this kind.”
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Brandon bungalow blaze thought to be started by faulty boiler
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 5 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 8 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 9 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
Just last week the Times reported on an undisclosed amount of cash which had been released from Breckland Council, and match-funded by Norfolk County Council, to fund a planning document which will now be drawn up for the works at the riverside site.
The application is expected to take six-months to draw up and is likely to be submitted in spring, 2012.
Chair of the Moving Thetford Forward (MTF) Partnership, William Nunn, said: “The Riverside development will play an important role in the wider regeneration of Thetford, creating jobs and new facilities and helping to revitalise the town.
“Norfolk County Council is a key player in the MTF partnership and this significant contribution demonstrates their commitment to Thetford’s future.”