Outdoor venue launched to bring community together to socialise
- Credit: Archant
A new outdoor venue has been launched to bring the a town’s community together to socialise and have fun.
The launch of Thetford Riverside On the Green attracted more than 1,300 people for an evening of entertainment from popular Rat Pack meets Michael Bublé singer Gary Winter.
Held on the green space directly in front of the Thetford Riverside Leisure Complex, on Bridge Street, families, couples and friends mingled with others in what has already become a popular event.
Dan Hogan, who attended with his family, said: “What’s been missing in Thetford? An outdoor family entertainment venue.
“The vibe was great. It is good to see support from local bands. It really is a great space to entertain.”
Breckland Council, who owns and manages the site, commissioned local marketing and events company The Lively Crew, to create themed daytime, evening and weekend activities to utilise the area.
The space shapes up nicely as an outdoor theatre and gives the town outdoor options for music, theatre and the arts.
- 1 How a new Norfolk forest helped heal the nation's timber industry
- 2 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 3 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 4 West Norfolk village pub to reopen as bed and breakfast after sale
- 5 Truss claims UK workers need 'more graft' in leaked statement
- 6 This is when thunderstorms will hit Norfolk this week
- 7 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 8 Norfolk Restaurant Week returning for 2022 with discounts across county
- 9 'Delightful' pug and 'loveable' rottweiler among dogs looking for new homes
- 10 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
American bar and grill Grand Central and The Light Cinema, both situated at the Riverside Complex, are also supporting the events.
Brian McKay, a director at Grand Central, travelled up from Essex to attend the launch evening on June 15.
He said: “It is wonderful to see the community atmosphere. This really is a perfect setting.”
A family fun day was also held on Father’s Day.
Councillor Adrian Stasiak, Breckland Council’s executive member for growth and commercialisation, added: “This is all about further improving what’s on offer in Thetford, for both residents and visitors to the town.
“The new leisure complex is already a real asset and this upcoming programme of events will go one step further and give people even more reason to come out to socialise and enjoy the leisure opportunities that are on their doorsteps.”
Up-and-coming On the Green events include a performance by sitar player Jonathan Mayer as part of the Festival of Thetford and Punjab on July 13.
Details of events can be found at On The Green Thetford on Facebook or visit @OnTheGreenThet on Twitter.