Thetford homeless hostel set for revamp
A homeless hostel in Thetford is set for a major revamp with plans to create more accommodation for single people.Breckland Council has submitted a proposal to make adaptations to John Room House, in London Road, and to build 12 new flats for the homeless.
A homeless hostel in Thetford is set for a major revamp with plans to create more accommodation for single people.
Breckland Council has submitted a proposal to make adaptations to John Room House, in London Road, and to build 12 new flats for the homeless.
Architects for the district council say that the current hostel is outdated for residents and management and the family rooms are no longer needed.
The local authority is proposing to renovate John Room House to create ten self-contained rooms for single people with ensuite facilities and to demolish the redundant warden's bungalow to make way for 12 one-bed units.
You may also want to watch:
The council aims to make the development as energy efficient and eco-friendly as possible. If given the go-ahead, an archaeological dig would have to be carried out before construction because the site sits near the Saxon defences of Thetford.
Breckland Councillors are set to discuss the issuing of tenders for the redevelopment of the hostel in secret at a cabinet meeting on Tuesday ahead of a planning committee later in the year.
- 1 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 2 Family's desperate plea to help find missing wartime medals
- 3 Couple caught at dawn dumping waste in forest
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Symptom-free Covid testing sites set to open in Thetford
- 6 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 7 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 8 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 9 Concerns over divide in vaccine rates - what's the situation where you live?
- 10 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased