Thetford hit by spate of allotment thefts
Rebecca Gough Allotment holders in Thetford are urged to report any thefts, no matter how small, to police after a series of break-ins.
Allotment holders in Thetford are urged to report any thefts, no matter how small, to police after a series of break-ins.
With 200 allotments dotted around the town, opportunistic thieves have taken vegetables and tools, and a recent spate at Bury Road has prompted the warning.
Growers at Bury Road and the town's other sites including Ickneild Way, London Road, Mundford Road and Magdalen Street, are also encouraged to make sure gates are closed in the evening and the allotments are secure.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the Thetford Garden and Allotment Club Rachel Woods said: “We're encouraging people to go to the police to get a crime number so the police know how much is going from the allotments.
“What's sad is there isn't much we can do about it, but if the thieves find it isn't as easy, they may change their route.”
- 1 Training at RAF base given positive rating by Ofsted
- 2 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 3 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 6 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 7 WATCH: Norfolk troops train ahead of peacekeeping mission in Mali
- 8 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 9 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 10 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
A small stove used to make tea at the London Road site was also taken in recent weeks, and produce has regularly gone missing.
The club has now applied for funding from Breckland Council to plant a hawthorn bush and build a fence, which would act as a barrier at the Bury Road allotments.
Yvonne Rout, committee member of the garden and allotment club, added: “With times being hard for everyone, I can understand we might have a few things missing, but it is becoming a big issue.
“I wonder why we should do all the hard work just for someone else to reap the produce. Even though sites like London Road have a really high fence they will still get in.
“We want to make it more difficult for the casual thief to break in.”