Thetford Foodbank supermarket day
Shoppers will have the chance to give a little back when the Thetford Foodbank launches its first supermarket collection day.
The event will be held at the Kilverstone Tesco on Friday and has already begun distributing emergency supplies to people struggling to buy food.
Since the project began in August, donations have been received from churches, schools and individuals, as well as the Brandon and District Rotary Club which gave a gift of commercial food scales and collection boxes for the warehouse.
More than 25 volunteers have come forward to help staff the distribution centre, manage the warehouse and hand out leaflets at supermarkets, urging customers to buy an extra item from a list of essentials for the Foodbank.
Thetford Foodbank manager, Ali James, said: “The need just seems to be a growing social situation in the country, at a time when everyone’s finances are being squeezed.
You may also want to watch:
“Whether it’s losing your job, the cuts in general, or just the rising cost of living, crisis situations such as an unexpected bill or longer term illness can cause major problems for a family.”
Thetford Foodbank is linked to the Foodbank Network which is organised by a Christian organisation called the Trussell Trust.
- 1 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 2 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 3 Death of woman at country park being treated as 'isolated incident'
- 4 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 5 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 6 Seven months in prison for burglar who stole cash from church cafe
- 7 Overrunning roadworks temporarily closes part of A11
- 8 Burger and Italian restaurant set to open at town's riverside complex
- 9 Councillor accused of spreading 'damaging disinformation' on facemasks
- 10 Prince Philip's love of birds remembered at Thetford-based trust
The Foodbank, which is currently based at Liberty Christian Family Centre, is a unique project uniting Thetford’s voluntary agencies and churches through Thetford Christians Together.
For more information, visit www.thetford.foodbank.org.uk.