Thetford Foodbank supermarket day
Shoppers will have the chance to give a little back when the Thetford Foodbank launches its first supermarket collection day.
The event will be held at the Kilverstone Tesco on Friday and has already begun distributing emergency supplies to people struggling to buy food.
Since the project began in August, donations have been received from churches, schools and individuals, as well as the Brandon and District Rotary Club which gave a gift of commercial food scales and collection boxes for the warehouse.
More than 25 volunteers have come forward to help staff the distribution centre, manage the warehouse and hand out leaflets at supermarkets, urging customers to buy an extra item from a list of essentials for the Foodbank.
Thetford Foodbank manager, Ali James, said: “The need just seems to be a growing social situation in the country, at a time when everyone’s finances are being squeezed.
“Whether it’s losing your job, the cuts in general, or just the rising cost of living, crisis situations such as an unexpected bill or longer term illness can cause major problems for a family.”
Thetford Foodbank is linked to the Foodbank Network which is organised by a Christian organisation called the Trussell Trust.
- 1 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 2 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 3 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
- 4 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 5 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 6 Food review, Lime Kiln Kitchen: ‘A truly relaxing place for Sunday lunch’
- 7 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 8 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 9 New Latin American restaurant opening at Center Parcs in Elveden
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
The Foodbank, which is currently based at Liberty Christian Family Centre, is a unique project uniting Thetford’s voluntary agencies and churches through Thetford Christians Together.
For more information, visit www.thetford.foodbank.org.uk.