Thetford couple celebrate diamond wedding
A couple who met following personal misfortune celebrated 60 happy and fulfilling years of marriage on Sunday.
Peter and Margaret Blake, of St Barnabas Close, Thetford, celebrated with friends and family at Thetford Methodist Church, ahead of their diamond wedding anniversary tomorrow.
Mrs Blake, 80, who is originally from Binham, in north Norfolk, said: “We met in Thetford – we lived near each other.
“My father had died and we had to leave the tied cottage. I lived with my mother and sister. Peter had to leave his home because his mother died and lived with his brother. We ended up in the same row of cottages and that’s how we met.”
Mr Blake, 84, orignially from Weeting, worked in building and civil engineering, then plant hire and finally worked for A-Z Engineering before retiring.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Blake was a cook at various schools in Thetford and cook-in-charge at Abbey Farm School.
Asked the secret of a long and happy marriage, Mrs Blake said: “Trust in each other and help each other. We’ve both had problems and been there for each other, supported each other, and, of course, love each other.”
- 1 Police continue probe into murder of woman at country park
- 2 Brandon man handed three-year restraining order by judge
- 3 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 4 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 7 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 8 Woman, 73, convicted of forging second deceased partner's will
- 9 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 10 Father-of-five in court accused of murdering wife after body found in country park pond
The couple, who enjoy gardening and walking, have two daughters, three grandchildren and two great grandchildren.