Thetford barns scheme back on table
A developer has resubmitted controversial plans for a historic site in Thetford after a residential scheme was revoked.Proposals to turn the Grade I-listed Abbey Barns into 26 homes were approved earlier this year despite objections from local people and heritage groups.
A developer has resubmitted controversial plans for a historic site in Thetford after a residential scheme was revoked.
Proposals to turn the Grade I-listed Abbey Barns into 26 homes were approved earlier this year despite objections from local people and heritage groups. But the owner of the complex of 15th-century barns and cottages at Monksgate has been forced to seek planning consent again after Breckland Council made an error during the planning process.
As reported last month, solicitors for the council wrote to representatives for the Thetford Society to say they would not be challenging a judicial review in the High Court.
Council officials said the planning permission would have to be set aside after it emerged that Breckland failed to verify the costing of the Abbey Barns scheme with the district valuer before consent was granted.
H G Developments, of Tacolneston, has now resubmitted the proposals to Breckland to convert five listed and six unlisted buildings and construct 15 new homes at the former council depot, which forms part of an ancient scheduled monument. The fresh application is identical to the previous plans and comes as campaigners are calling on the district council to buy back the site as a potential visitor centre for the nearby Cluniac priory.
The results of a consultation rec-ently revealed that 254 people were in favour of Abbey Barns being turned into housing, while 501 were against.
- 1 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 2 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 3 More F-35 squadrons to be stationed in Suffolk to boost US presence
- 4 Remarkable life of the Duleep Singhs explored in new exhibition
- 5 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 6 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 7 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 8 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 9 What the average Norfolk house price can buy you in the county's towns
- 10 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
Stuart Wilson, a Monksgate resident and Thetford Society member, said he hoped to raise the subject at the Thetford Neighbour-hood Forum next Tuesday. He added: “It is a bit of a shame that H G Developments have acted so quickly. We were hoping they would reconsider it in light of the Thetford Area Action Plan consultation, but if it does go before a planning committee the Thetford Society and other historic heritage societies will be objecting again.”