Thetford and Methwold youngsters enjoy sporting fun
Thirty youngsters got the chance to try their hand at a range of Paralympic sports.
Parkwood Leisure and the Breckland School Sports Partnership held the Paralympic taster day for children who are not currently engaged in school sport or who can not access school competition due to disability.
Children from Fred Nichols, Chapel Road, The Thetford Academy, Admirals Jnr, Attleborough High School and Hockwold and Methwold Community School were welcomed into the event with Paralympic fanfare music followed by an inspirational video clip of the highlights from the 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games.
The children were then split in to three teams which rotated around goal ball, new age kurling, boccia and sportshall athletics in the morning and kwik cricket, table top cricket and mini tennis in the afternoon.
All the sports were delivered by club coaches and supported by sports leaders from The Thetford Academy.
You may also want to watch:
Marie Reidie, Breckand School Games organiser, said: “The day was a great success as it enabled children who are usually not catered for during PE lessons or who have never come out of school to take part in a sports event due to their disability a chance to experience the many different Paralympic sports which are on offer to them within the county.”
At the end of the day, the children were presented with a certificate and five children who demonstrated one or more Paralympic values were awarded medals.
- 1 Father-of-five in court accused of murdering wife after body found in country park pond
- 2 Under-50s to be called for vaccines as Moderna jab arrives in England
- 3 46-year-old man charged with woman's murder
- 4 Bosses at hospital criticised for whistleblower 'witch-hunt' step down
- 5 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 6 Four schools set to expand due to new housing developments
- 7 Man charged with spate of burglaries and thefts in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 8 Charity's emergency appeal after losing £2.1m in pandemic
- 9 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 10 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
“I must say a massive thank you to all the coaches, sports leaders and Parkwood Leisure centre who gave up their facilities and time for free to support what will now be an annual event,” added Ms Reidie.