Thetford air cadets welcome visit from RAF Honington station commander
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk air cadet squadron welcomed the station commander of RAF Honington on a visit to their headquarters.
Group Captain David Tait accompanied by Station Warrent Officer Sonya Derbyshire visited 1109 Thetford Squadron, based at RAF Barnham, for the first time since taking his post as station commander in 2016.
He spoke to cadets, including a new intake of recruits, about his career in the RAF and how his decision to join the military was influenced by his time within the Air Training Corps.
Officer Commanding 1109 Squadron Flight Lieutenant Samuel Chapman-Allen said: “It was great for the Station Commander to come and spend the evening with the cadets and forge the close links between us and RAF Honington.
“With the Station Commander being an ex air cadet he reinforced to all what a very important role Corps played in his upbringing and career choice.”
You may also want to watch:
Group Captain Tait presented a number of awards during his visit which included Level 1 BTEC Certificates in team work and personal skills to 10 cadets, a Level 2 BTEC Diploma in team work and personal development as well as Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Blues for representations in football and swimming.
The final presentation was a promotion to Flight Sergeant ATC for Matthew Drewry.
- 1 Hope and caution - How Thetford is preparing to come out of lockdown
- 2 'He cried, I cried' - Loved ones reunited through care home's pilot test scheme
- 3 Friends pay tribute to war heroes with walking marathon effort
- 4 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 5 Arrest after man found with wooden baton and £30,000 in cash
- 6 A1066 to close for five more nights
- 7 How will Christmas grottos, nativities and carol singing go ahead?
- 8 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 9 Man fractured partner’s cheekbone after making machete threat to sister
- 10 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
It represented his work at 1109 Squadron and at a Norfolk and Suffolk Wing level, notably in sports.
Flight Sergeant was also appointed to Deputy Wing Sports Officer for Norfolk and Suffolk Wing.