Thetford air cadets welcome visit from RAF Honington station commander
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk air cadet squadron welcomed the station commander of RAF Honington on a visit to their headquarters.
Group Captain David Tait accompanied by Station Warrent Officer Sonya Derbyshire visited 1109 Thetford Squadron, based at RAF Barnham, for the first time since taking his post as station commander in 2016.
He spoke to cadets, including a new intake of recruits, about his career in the RAF and how his decision to join the military was influenced by his time within the Air Training Corps.
Officer Commanding 1109 Squadron Flight Lieutenant Samuel Chapman-Allen said: “It was great for the Station Commander to come and spend the evening with the cadets and forge the close links between us and RAF Honington.
“With the Station Commander being an ex air cadet he reinforced to all what a very important role Corps played in his upbringing and career choice.”
You may also want to watch:
Group Captain Tait presented a number of awards during his visit which included Level 1 BTEC Certificates in team work and personal skills to 10 cadets, a Level 2 BTEC Diploma in team work and personal development as well as Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Blues for representations in football and swimming.
The final presentation was a promotion to Flight Sergeant ATC for Matthew Drewry.
- 1 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 2 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 6 Have your say over future of growing estate
- 7 Horse found with maggot-infested wounds wins rosette at equestrian show
- 8 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 9 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 10 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
It represented his work at 1109 Squadron and at a Norfolk and Suffolk Wing level, notably in sports.
Flight Sergeant was also appointed to Deputy Wing Sports Officer for Norfolk and Suffolk Wing.