Dismay as Storm Gareth reduces market stalls to two
- Credit: Archant
Town residents were dismayed to find just two stalls at a market yesterday.
High winds from Storm Gareth discouraged traders from making an appearance at Thetford town market.
Only a fruit and vegetable stall and a cheese and pie stall were present at the market place, outside The Guildhall.
The storm’s strong gales and heavy rain have been causing disruption across the country, with rail and road links across the country affected. Winds are thought to have been up to 50mph yesterday afternoon.
Discouraged shopper Bernie O’Connor said he no longer sees the point in using Thetford Market, and that he and his wife now shop at Bury St Edmunds.
You may also want to watch:
Some residents took to social media to express concern at the lack of stalls.
Linda Bode said: “What a sad sight. I remember when there were so many stalls cheek by jowl with each other. You had to push your way through with prams and pushchairs.”
- 1 Police continue probe into murder of woman at country park
- 2 Brandon man handed three-year restraining order by judge
- 3 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 4 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 5 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 6 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 7 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 8 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 9 Woman, 73, convicted of forging second deceased partner's will
- 10 Father-of-five in court accused of murdering wife after body found in country park pond