Still time to nominate an unsung hero and deserving individual for the Thetford Awards Recognising Achievement (TARAS)
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
It is an event that celebrates the hard work of unsung heroes and achievers in the community.
And there is still time to submit your nominations for the Thetford Awards Recognising Achievement, known as the TARAs.
Now in its third year, the awards recognise volunteers, community groups and young people who have strived to help other people.
Mark Robinson, local councillor and businessman, organised the awards to honour and give praise to those who give a lot to the community but normally do so without receiving deserved recognition.
He said: “It’s fantastic to organise such a positive event for our town. I look forward to building on the success of previous years, with 250 nominations last year it is going to be great to build on the momentum achieved.”
You may also want to watch:
There are six categories to nominate an individual for; Volunteer, Young Person of the year, Sporting, Good Neighbour, Business, and Community Event.
Three other categories, the Louise Cook Memorial Award, Lifetime Achievement and Outstanding Contribution are judged by a panel.
- 1 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 2 Police amazed no one hurt after tree falls on Fiat 500
- 3 Wetherspoon pubs reveal reopening plan after 'zero' sales
- 4 Burst main leaves villages without water
- 5 School 'relieves stress' for families by loaning laptops in lockdown
- 6 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 7 Parent fined after teens dumped waste at town estate
- 8 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 9 Flooding fears recede in Norfolk but wind warning issued
- 10 Fiat 500 thought to be stolen found crashed into wall
Nominations opened at the start of July and people have until Tuesday, October 31 to recommend someone they believe is deserving of an award.
The panel will meet in November to compile the nominations with the finalists due to be announced on Tuesday, December 5.
The ceremony will be held at the Carnegie Room on Friday, February 2 2018.
There will be a meal and live entertainment.
The Thetford and Brandon Times will once again be supporting the awards.
Rebecca Murphy, senior reporter, said: “We’re pleased to be backing this fantastic event for another year.
“The awards are a great way to recognise the positive impact people can make on other people and the town.
“I would encourage anyone who knows someone who has gone above or beyond the cause, or who they feel deserves to be recognised, to nominate them.”
To nominate an individual, group or business, fill in the nomination form on this webpage or email Mr Robinson at email@example.com
To find out how to get involved in the awards call Mr Robinson on 07864882768.