Snetterton set for British Touring Car Championship return
- Credit: Submitted
The British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) returns to Snetterton at the start of August.
The Dunlop MSA BTCC currently has seven former champions competing on a 31-car grid on August 2-3, with 2009 champion Colin Turkington leading a close championship battle, following a recent spell of good form in his eBay Motors BMW.
He is closely pursued by fellow champions Gordon Shedden and Andew Jordan, the current title-holder, who both compete in variations of the Honda Civic.
There are plenty of other manufacturers represented on the grid, with double title-winner Jason Plato leading a factory MG assault. Both Plato and team mate Sam Tordoff have stood on the top step of the podium, and the MG showed very strongly at Snetterton last season.
Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota, Proton, Chevrolet, Audi and Mercedes will also be represented, ensuring one of the most diverse touring car grids ever seen at the Norfolk circuit.
The drivers will arrive in Norfolk after a five-week break, Turkington using the time to tie the knot with his fiancée.
Honda Racing’s Shedden, champion in 2012, holds second place in the standings. He took two second places and a fourth last time out at Croft and already has two wins under his belt.
- 1 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 2 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 3 'He's done it again!': Bowler's delight after going viral for a second time
- 4 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 5 Breckland builder dumped toilet cisterns and bathroom items in front garden
- 6 Delays in west Suffolk town after faulty barrier at railway crossing
- 7 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 8 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 9 Town centre's new café... with a difference
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
By contrast, Shedden’s triple-champion team mate Matt Neal and returning European heroes Fabrizio Giovanardi (Ford Focus) and Alain Menu (Volkswagen CC) have endured a tough start but will be aiming to impress.
In addition to three BTCC races on the Sunday, there will be action from the Ginetta GT Supercup, Ginetta Juniors, Porsche Carrera Cup GB, Renault UK Clio Cup and Formula Ford GB. With a free pitwalk and autograph session on the Sunday, free children’s adventure playground, trade village and weekend camping.
Tickets are available from £26, with free entry for children aged 12 and under. For more details call 0843 453 9000 or visit snetterton.co.uk