Thatched roof fire breaks out in Suffolk village
- Credit: Ixworth Fire station
Fire crews attended a thatched roof fire at a two storey home near Diss last night.
Crews were called to reports of a thatched fire just before 7pm Thursday at a property in the High Street in Thelnetham.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: "The property is two storey and it was around two metres of the chimney that was alight.
"There were six pumping appliances and three hose reels to tackle the fire.
"Crews also needed to gain access to the roof in order to strip the thatch that was around the chimney."
A stop call was made just after 10pm.
Initially 10 crews from Woodbridge, Bury St Edmunds, Ixworth, Newmarket, Diss and Thetford were dispatched but four crews were stood down.
- 1 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 2 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park
- 3 Shed left destroyed after garden fire in west Suffolk
- 4 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 5 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 6 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
- 7 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
- 8 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 9 Where will be the hottest place in Norfolk this weekend?
- 10 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
It is not yet understood how the fire started.
Everyone was able to evacuate the house and no injuries were reported.