World’s top stables opens its gates to the public
- Credit: Archant
Horse racing fans have the chance to go behind the scenes at one of the world’s best racing stables.
Shadwell Stud, in Thetford, is opening its gates to the public this Summer, as part of Discover Newmarket, with the opportunity to meet the trainers and caretakers of some of the country’s best race horses.
The tour is taking place on May 22 with visitors going behind the scenes at the yard of William Haggas, one of Newmarket’s biggest trainers to see what life is like at Somerville Lodge.
The highlight of the day will be the exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of Shadwell’s Nunnery Stud as well as a parade of their champion stallions.
They will meet the team and see the day’s third lot trotting before heading out to watch the horses exercise on Warren Hill.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Pennington, marketing and nominations manager for Shadwell Stud, said: “The Discover Newmarket tours offer a unique opportunity for the general public to gain behind the scenes access to a stud farm and that is why Shadwell is delighted to be hosting tours again in 2019 following great success with the inaugural tours last year.
“It gives the team at Shadwell great satisfaction to be able to afford members of the public a chance to visit the stud and share with them their knowledge of the horse and the intricacies of everything connected with a stud farm.”
- 1 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 2 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 3 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 6 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 7 'Beers, big TVS and men's mental health': New barbershop to open in town
- 8 Teen stabbed in Thetford
- 9 One in eight Breckland adults yet to receive Covid vaccine
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
Discover Newmarket’s tours to Shadwell Stud have proved so popular that one of the two dates sold out in just 24 hours.
Also included is time at Palace House, one of Newmarket’s top attractions, which is home to the National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art.
Megan Pollexfen, Discover Newmarket manager, said: “We are delighted that we will once again be able to visit the impressive facilities at Shadwell Stud this year.
“We received a fantastic response to these dates last year and are grateful to Shadwell for their continued support. Visitors coming on the Shadwell Tour experience in 2019 can look forward to an exceptional day out.”