Search continues for missing clergyman
Emma Knights Police are today continuing their search for a 73-year-old clergyman who has gone missing in the East Harling area.The Rev Raymond Powell, who has Alzheimer's, was reported missing from The Beeches care home in East Harling just after midnight yesterday and a major air and land search has been launched to find him.
Police are today continuing their search for a 73-year-old clergyman who has gone missing in the East Harling area.
The Rev Raymond Powell, who has Alzheimer's, was reported missing from The Beeches care home in East Harling just after midnight yesterday and a major air and land search has been launched to find him.
Mr Powell, who lives in Roydon, near Diss, had only been at the care home since Monday and was due to stay there for a week.
You may also want to watch:
Superintendent Katie Elliott said: “Our priority is to find Mr Powell safe and well. I am appealing to all residents in East Harling to check their outbuildings and gardens as there is a possibility Mr Powell has taken shelter there.
“Because Mr Powell is diabetic he is most likely to be feeling weak, confused and incoherent. It is possible he may not even respond to his name.”
- 1 Training at RAF base given positive rating by Ofsted
- 2 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 3 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 6 WATCH: Norfolk troops train ahead of peacekeeping mission in Mali
- 7 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 8 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 9 Fighter jets from RAF Lakenheath to fly over London NFL games
- 10 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
Mr Powell is described as white, 5ft 11ins tall and a medium build. He has light brown collar length hair with grey flecks and a grey beard, and is believed to be wearing a green jacket with beige trousers and brown shoes.
According to Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008-2009 Mr Powell was the priest in charge of Babraham from 1985 to 2000 and the vicar of Sawston from 1979 until 2000, both in the Diocese of Ely.
In 2000 he retired to the Diocese of Norwich and he had the Bishop's Permission to Officiate until 2006.
A spokesman for The Beeches said the care home did not wish to comment.
Anyone who may have seen Mr Powell should contact Norfolk Police on 0845 456 4567.