Russell's pride at fundraising award
A Thetford man has spoken of his pride after receiving a national award for more than half a century of voluntary service to a children's charity.Russell Webber started fundraising for NCH over 50 years ago in a bid to help disadvantaged children.
A Thetford man has spoken of his pride after receiving a national award for more than half a century of voluntary service to a children's charity.
Russell Webber started fundraising for NCH over 50 years ago in a bid to help disadvantaged children.
The 75-year-old, of Monksgate, Thetford, who has helped generate around £3,000 a year for the charity, has now received the NCH Stephenson Award for his “outstanding commitment” to the organisation.
Mr Webber, who has been chairman of the NCH Thetford group for the last ten years, has organised countless sponsored walks, coffee mornings, jumble sales, quizzes, concerts, and collections to support the charity's work with the UK's most vulnerable children and young people.
You may also want to watch:
The father-of-two said he was “surprised” to get the award, which he also dedicated to his team of ten NCH volunteers and Methodist church members.
“I was most amazed and privileged to receive the award and I have been happy and pleased to support NCH,” he said.
- 1 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 2 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 3 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 4 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 5 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 6 Training at RAF base given positive rating by Ofsted
- 7 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 8 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 9 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
Lorna Burroughes, senior fundraising executive for NCH, added: “His obligation to the charity never wavers and I believe Russell to be so extremely worthy of the Stephenson Award for his long and loyal service to NCH.”
Anyone wishing to volunteer for NCH in Thetford can call Mr Webber on 01842 761826.