Russell's pride at fundraising award
A Thetford man has spoken of his pride after receiving a national award for more than half a century of voluntary service to a children's charity.Russell Webber started fundraising for NCH over 50 years ago in a bid to help disadvantaged children.
A Thetford man has spoken of his pride after receiving a national award for more than half a century of voluntary service to a children's charity.
Russell Webber started fundraising for NCH over 50 years ago in a bid to help disadvantaged children.
The 75-year-old, of Monksgate, Thetford, who has helped generate around £3,000 a year for the charity, has now received the NCH Stephenson Award for his “outstanding commitment” to the organisation.
Mr Webber, who has been chairman of the NCH Thetford group for the last ten years, has organised countless sponsored walks, coffee mornings, jumble sales, quizzes, concerts, and collections to support the charity's work with the UK's most vulnerable children and young people.
You may also want to watch:
The father-of-two said he was “surprised” to get the award, which he also dedicated to his team of ten NCH volunteers and Methodist church members.
“I was most amazed and privileged to receive the award and I have been happy and pleased to support NCH,” he said.
- 1 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 2 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 3 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 4 A11 reopens following earlier collision
- 5 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Man found near air base with gun, axe and lock knife sentenced
- 8 Warning over con artists trying 'council tax' scam in Norfolk
- 9 Military drones to fly above Norfolk RAF base
- 10 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
Lorna Burroughes, senior fundraising executive for NCH, added: “His obligation to the charity never wavers and I believe Russell to be so extremely worthy of the Stephenson Award for his long and loyal service to NCH.”
Anyone wishing to volunteer for NCH in Thetford can call Mr Webber on 01842 761826.