Community says final farewell to much-loved Thetford man
- Credit: Danielle Booden
Friends, family and neighbours lined a street in Thetford, to say their final farewells to a much-loved man, who would spread cheer by singing on his doorstep.
The family of 88-year-old Ronald 'Ron' Green, who died after contracting coronavirus on January 22, said they couldn’t have asked for a better send off, after the community gathered on Nunnery Drive to pay their respects.
At 11am on Friday, February 19, the family followed the hearse from Ron’s home, as a band played his favourite songs - including 'Fly Me To The Moon' and 'On The Sunny Side Of The Street'.
The procession was led by Captain Diane Dickson from the Salvation Army in Thetford.
Rachel Ellis, 51, Ron’s daughter, said: “It was really emotional. Everyone knew dad. This character with the singing voice who would stand on the door step and make everyone smile.
“He was the epitome of kindness itself.
“It was a wonderful tribute. It gave us the strength to walk that walk, with the music and wonderful memories of dad. He made his last journey. It was absolutely beautiful.”
After the procession, Ron's funeral service was held at Risby Crematorium in Bury St Edmunds.
- 1 Mother's devastation after son killed in crash 'one minute from home'
- 2 Man denies causing death by dangerous driving after fatal A143 crash
- 3 Center Parcs to reopen on April 12 for self-catering guests only
- 4 Norfolk discount store to take over former Poundstretcher building
- 5 Dogs Trust releases phone calls of 'heartbroken' owners forced to give up pets
- 6 Warm winds bring Saharan dust as temperatures soar to 17C
- 7 Warning over 'Royal Mail' fake text scam
- 8 Pub to get major revamp - but needs a landlord first
- 9 £657k cost rise feared as fresh operator planned for 40 school bus contracts
- 10 Community says final farewell to much-loved Thetford man
The family thanked those who came to pay their respects and Mark Skinner, from Mark Skinner Funeral Service.
If you wish to donate to St Nicholas Hospice visit the link here, https://ronaldgreen.muchloved.com/.