Resilient Rosa celebrates 100th birthday having survived two world wars and an explosion
- Credit: Archant
A woman who was born in Germany during the First World War, survived another global conflict and a major explosion at her house has celebrated her 100th birthday.
Rosa White, toasted her century on November 7, surrounded by friends and family at her home in Heron Avenue, Brandon.
Mrs White was born in the German town of Guben in 1915, lived through two world wars, the rise and fall of the Nazis - including witnessing Hitler at a rally during the 1930s - before moving to England in 1950.
She initially lived on the Isle of Wight and in Southampton, before moving to Brandon with her husband Richard in the mid 1970s.
The couple moved into what were brand new Bennetts Homes in Heron Avenue, and she has lived in the same house ever since.
She raised two sons, Wolfgang and Gunther, and has two grandchildren.
Known by her neighbours for her kind, unassuming nature and energy, Mrs White was cooking for herself and heading to the shops alone well into her 90s.
- 1 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 2 Jess Glynne cancels summer show in Thetford Forest
- 3 Pair deny dangerous driving on the A11 in Suffolk
- 4 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 5 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Council leader refuses to condemn Downing Street parties
- 7 Homes with dedicated support for rough sleepers to be built in Thetford
- 8 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 9 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 10 Rescued Mariah and Carey recovering after A11 crash
She said her secret to a long life was keeping busy.
“I always walked a lot, especially as a nurse. You also need to eat well and sleep a lot,” she said.
She even survived a major explosion in 2009, at the age of 93, when her grandson, Jens Schafer, was badly injured after a gas leak at her home.
Mrs White was in the next room when a butane tank exploded, and described the experience as the most terrifying of her life at the time.
Her birthday party saw around 30 visitors enjoying cake and sherry to celebrate the day.
Have you got a special birthday or anniversary coming up? Let us know by emailing email@example.com