Red Cross office opens in Thetford
Vulnerable people in the Thetford area are set to get more support after the official opening of a British Red Cross office in the town.Sir Nick Young, chief executive of the international charity, unveiled a plaque yesterday at the new community hub at the Keystone Innovation Centre.
Vulnerable people in the Thetford area are set to get more support after the official opening of a British Red Cross office in the town.
Sir Nick Young, chief executive of the international charity, unveiled a plaque yesterday at the new community hub at the Keystone Innovation Centre.
The organisation, which will have four permanent workers based at Thetford, will use the space to co-ordinate staff and volunteers across East Anglia and will work locally on community-based first aid training and youth projects.
The charity will also use its new presence in the town to work with migrant workers and other vulnerable groups.
You may also want to watch:
Sir Nick yesterday said the new office placed the British Red Cross in the heart of the region and close to a number of other charities and organisations in Thetford.
“We are doing a lot of work in the area and it is important to be seen in the community and work with other organisations in the community. This gives us easy access to people that need our help,” he said.
- 1 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 2 Man rescued from van after collision with tractor
- 3 'Extensive damage' caused as business centre is flooded
- 4 Parts of Thetford hit by flooding due to heavy rain
- 5 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 6 Cows cause congestion after wandering into RAF Lakenheath viewing area
- 7 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 8 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 9 Augmented reality Gruffalo trail launches in forest
- 10 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
The charity, which helps people in times of crisis, will also use the new Thetford base to coordinate its response during times of emergencies in the Breckland area.