RAF team's 400km adventure race
Traipsing around the shops is most people's idea of a pre-Christmas workout.But four physical training instructors from a Suffolk military base are set for a more gruelling challenge next week when they begin a 400km adventure race in the Middle East.
Traipsing around the shops is most people's idea of a pre-Christmas workout.
But four physical training instructors from a Suffolk military base are set for a more gruelling challenge next week when they begin a 400km adventure race in the Middle East.
The quartet, based at RAF Honington, will fly out to the United Arab Emirates on Monday to compete in the six day Abu Dhabi Adventure Race and raise hundreds of pounds for the RAF Benevolent Fund in the process.
The team, which is made up of Sgt Simon Nielson, Cpl Steven Robinson, Cpl Kayleigh Stevenson, and Flt Lt Rupert Capleton, will be taking on competitors from across the globe in the challenge that involves trail running across the desert, mountain biking, camel trekking, rock climbing and sea kayaking.
You may also want to watch:
The instructors, who have been in training for the event for the last three months, spoke of their excitement yesterday as they prepared to compete against 35 other teams from places such as France, Sweden, Canada, New Zealand, and Brazil.
The RAF foursome is just one of three British teams to qualify for the competition to walk, cycle, and paddle 400km in the adventure race that runs from December 12 to 17.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 4 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 6 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 7 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
Cpl Robinson said: “We feel really privileged to be taking part in this race against such prestigious opposition. As our work is so physically demanding it is exactly the kind of challenge we relish, and if we can raise money for RAF Benevolent Fund at the same time, so much the better.”
The RAF Honington team can be sponsored by visiting www.justgiving.com/rafptischallenge .