RAF team's 400km adventure race
Traipsing around the shops is most people's idea of a pre-Christmas workout.But four physical training instructors from a Suffolk military base are set for a more gruelling challenge next week when they begin a 400km adventure race in the Middle East.
Traipsing around the shops is most people's idea of a pre-Christmas workout.
But four physical training instructors from a Suffolk military base are set for a more gruelling challenge next week when they begin a 400km adventure race in the Middle East.
The quartet, based at RAF Honington, will fly out to the United Arab Emirates on Monday to compete in the six day Abu Dhabi Adventure Race and raise hundreds of pounds for the RAF Benevolent Fund in the process.
The team, which is made up of Sgt Simon Nielson, Cpl Steven Robinson, Cpl Kayleigh Stevenson, and Flt Lt Rupert Capleton, will be taking on competitors from across the globe in the challenge that involves trail running across the desert, mountain biking, camel trekking, rock climbing and sea kayaking.
The instructors, who have been in training for the event for the last three months, spoke of their excitement yesterday as they prepared to compete against 35 other teams from places such as France, Sweden, Canada, New Zealand, and Brazil.
The RAF foursome is just one of three British teams to qualify for the competition to walk, cycle, and paddle 400km in the adventure race that runs from December 12 to 17.
- 1 Woman accused of stealing £11k of printer ink across East Anglia
- 2 Driver sustains neck injuries in two-vehicle crash near Thetford
- 3 Schoolgirl racially abused by boys in Mildenhall play park
- 4 The photographer with an eye for catching dogs in flight
- 5 Robber armed with Taser steals cash from Mildenhall shop
- 6 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 7 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 8 The artist who paints portraits to honour frontline workers
- 9 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 10 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
Cpl Robinson said: “We feel really privileged to be taking part in this race against such prestigious opposition. As our work is so physically demanding it is exactly the kind of challenge we relish, and if we can raise money for RAF Benevolent Fund at the same time, so much the better.”
The RAF Honington team can be sponsored by visiting www.justgiving.com/rafptischallenge .