Proposed new supermarket for Thetford
A proposal for a new supermarket has been mooted in Thetford.
Property company Location 3 is in talks with two of the “big four” supermarkets not already represented in the town regarding the former Thermos/Tulip site on Caxton Way.
If given the go-ahead, up to 250 jobs could be created as well as a new junction with London Road to provide access to the proposed store, 315 car parking spaces and a new petrol station.
A leaflet has been sent to residents in the town and a public exhibition was recently held at the Guildhall, outlining the potential scheme.
Properties, Alan Gibbons, said: “The public exhibition gave us an excellent opportunity to speak to residents directly about the proposals and find out their views.
“We are taking on board many of the comments received and are currently will looking at amending our planning application to reflect these.”
The planning application was due to be submitted before Christmas but the company has decided to defer the submission until January.
- 1 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 2 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 3 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
- 4 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 5 Food review, Lime Kiln Kitchen: ‘A truly relaxing place for Sunday lunch’
- 6 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 7 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 8 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 9 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
- 10 New Latin American restaurant opening at Center Parcs in Elveden
Discussions are ongoing with potential occupiers of the store and it is hoped the company will be able to make an announcement by February.
Permission has already been granted for a new Lidl supermarket on London Road.