Political stalwarts step down
Two long-standing Labour councillors in Thetford have announced that they will be retiring at the forthcoming Norfolk County Council elections.Thelma Paines, who has been in local politics for more than 30 years and has represented the Thetford West ward at the county council since 1985, has revealed that she will not be seeking re-election on June 4.
Two long-standing Labour councillors in Thetford have announced that they will be retiring at the forthcoming Norfolk County Council elections.
Thelma Paines, who has been in local politics for more than 30 years and has represented the Thetford West ward at the county council since 1985, has revealed that she will not be seeking re-election on June 4.
Colin Armes, who has been a Norfolk County Councillor for the Thetford East ward since 1993, has also decided to stand down at the forthcoming elections.
The local Labour party has selected town councillor and community worker Terry Jermy to represent Thetford West and community activist Brenda Canham to contest the Thetford East seat on June 4.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Paine, a former Thetford mayor, who has been a town councillor since 1978 and stepped down as a Breckland Councillor in 2007 after 24 years, said the time was right to hand over to someone new.
“I know both these individuals well and I have every confidence in them to carry forward the work which both myself and Colin have undertaken should they be elected. They have the energy, drive and determination to help improve this town for the benefit of the whole community,” she said.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 4 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 5 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 7 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 8 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 9 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 10 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
Mr Armes added: “After 33 years serving as a town, district and county councillor, I feel it's now time to stand down, and would like to thank all those who have given me their support and help over these years. It has been a great privilege to have served the people of Thetford. I know that Brenda will, if elected work hard for the town, and has wide experience of the problems facing our community.”