Photo gallery and video: Joy as Brandon Carnival declared a roaring success
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
It started as little more than an internet post by a resident who wanted to see his town stage a summer carnival for the good of the community.
And this week, the idea that started life on an internet forum truly took off as Brandon celebrated its third annual carnival - with its biggest and best show to date.
Resident Bruce Weetman took to the website BrandonSuffolk.com a few years ago to ask why the town could not stage an annual extravaganza similar to neighbouring areas such as Lakenheath.
His post attracted a lot of attention - so much so that volunteers came forward to help stage the town’s first carnival in living memory.
Its inaugural year, to coincide with the Queen’s Jubilee, was sadly a washout - but the fact people turned out despite the rotten weather gave organisers hope.
You may also want to watch:
Glorious sunshine meant that this year, the weather caused no such problems - with the result that hundreds of people lined London Road to cheer the carnival parade, which included three floats, motorbikes and a London bus driven by Vic Goodman.
Gary Brocklehurst, one of the original people who came forward to help organise the carnival, said: “Three years ago, we held our first carnival. It chucked it down with rain but we had a reasonable day.
- 1 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 2 'Beers, big TVS and men's mental health': New barbershop to open in town
- 3 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 4 Teen to mark first ever flight - by jumping out of the plane for charity
- 5 New £39million hub officially opens to the public
- 6 Hotel owner providing free lunches for those in need
- 7 Norfolk nursery nominated for national award
- 8 Part of A11 closed due to crash involving motorbike
- 9 Teen stabbed in Thetford
- 10 A11 reopens after pigs escaped onto road
“Last year, we managed to build on it and this year, we have built on it again.”