Parking plea for Thetford station
The loss of car parking around Thetford Railway Station in recent years has been criticised by a long-serving councillor.Terry Lamb told Breckland's full council meeting: “Every time there has been an application to build houses on old railway land, the council has granted permission.
The loss of car parking around Thetford Railway Station in recent years has been criticised by a long-serving councillor.
Terry Lamb told Breckland's full council meeting: “Every time there has been an application to build houses on old railway land, the council has granted permission.
“There is nowhere for people to park and they park on adjoining streets. As a planning department we do not have the foresight to stop people building houses.”
Mr Lamb called for any land which becomes available at the station - such as the former storage depot - to be turned into parking spaces.
You may also want to watch:
The railway station is among a wide range of issues being looked as part of the Thetford Area Action Plan, which is outlining the future of the town.
During consultations about the plan, there have been calls to move the station due to poor access and inadequate parking.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 3 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 4 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 5 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 8 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 9 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 10 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
But Network Rail has said it would cost �100m to relocate it and that has been ruled out.