Parking plea for Thetford station
The loss of car parking around Thetford Railway Station in recent years has been criticised by a long-serving councillor.Terry Lamb told Breckland's full council meeting: “Every time there has been an application to build houses on old railway land, the council has granted permission.
The loss of car parking around Thetford Railway Station in recent years has been criticised by a long-serving councillor.
Terry Lamb told Breckland's full council meeting: “Every time there has been an application to build houses on old railway land, the council has granted permission.
“There is nowhere for people to park and they park on adjoining streets. As a planning department we do not have the foresight to stop people building houses.”
Mr Lamb called for any land which becomes available at the station - such as the former storage depot - to be turned into parking spaces.
The railway station is among a wide range of issues being looked as part of the Thetford Area Action Plan, which is outlining the future of the town.
During consultations about the plan, there have been calls to move the station due to poor access and inadequate parking.
- 1 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 5 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 6 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 7 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Power tools stolen after van broken into
But Network Rail has said it would cost �100m to relocate it and that has been ruled out.