Parking plea for Thetford station
The loss of car parking around Thetford Railway Station in recent years has been criticised by a long-serving councillor.Terry Lamb told Breckland's full council meeting: “Every time there has been an application to build houses on old railway land, the council has granted permission.
The loss of car parking around Thetford Railway Station in recent years has been criticised by a long-serving councillor.
Terry Lamb told Breckland's full council meeting: “Every time there has been an application to build houses on old railway land, the council has granted permission.
“There is nowhere for people to park and they park on adjoining streets. As a planning department we do not have the foresight to stop people building houses.”
Mr Lamb called for any land which becomes available at the station - such as the former storage depot - to be turned into parking spaces.
You may also want to watch:
The railway station is among a wide range of issues being looked as part of the Thetford Area Action Plan, which is outlining the future of the town.
During consultations about the plan, there have been calls to move the station due to poor access and inadequate parking.
- 1 Parts of Thetford hit by flooding due to heavy rain
- 2 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 3 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 4 Man rescued from van after collision with tractor
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 Augmented reality Gruffalo trail launches in forest
- 7 Have your say over future of growing estate
- 8 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 9 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 10 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
But Network Rail has said it would cost �100m to relocate it and that has been ruled out.