Parking plea for Thetford station
The loss of car parking around Thetford Railway Station in recent years has been criticised by a long-serving councillor.Terry Lamb told Breckland's full council meeting: “Every time there has been an application to build houses on old railway land, the council has granted permission.
The loss of car parking around Thetford Railway Station in recent years has been criticised by a long-serving councillor.
Terry Lamb told Breckland's full council meeting: “Every time there has been an application to build houses on old railway land, the council has granted permission.
“There is nowhere for people to park and they park on adjoining streets. As a planning department we do not have the foresight to stop people building houses.”
Mr Lamb called for any land which becomes available at the station - such as the former storage depot - to be turned into parking spaces.
You may also want to watch:
The railway station is among a wide range of issues being looked as part of the Thetford Area Action Plan, which is outlining the future of the town.
During consultations about the plan, there have been calls to move the station due to poor access and inadequate parking.
- 1 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 2 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 3 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 4 RAF base warns of increased Apache helicopter flying activity
- 5 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 6 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 7 Car crashes into central reservation on A11
- 8 Abusive man grabbed wife by throat and banged her head on floor
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 Find out who made the Norfolk Day Drabble writing competition shortlist
But Network Rail has said it would cost �100m to relocate it and that has been ruled out.