Oliver marks 20 years at Thetford museum
The Ancient House Museum of Thetford Life has hailed curator Oliver Bone who is celebrating 20 years in charge.It was April 11, 1988 when a fresh- faced Oliver took over the reigns at the museum.
The Ancient House Museum of Thetford Life has hailed curator Oliver Bone who is celebrating 20 years in charge.
It was April 11, 1988 when a fresh- faced Oliver took over the reigns at the museum. He arrived at the Ancient House full of ideas and with a strong sense of what he wanted to achieve as curator.
He said at the time: “The museum has got a lot of potential to be an interesting and fascinating tourist attraction.”
During the following 20 years, Oliver has overseen many changes, the most extensive starting at the beginning of 2004 when the museum closed to the public and began a £1.6 million makeover. This resulted in a major refurbishment of the building and a change in the way the collections are presented within the museum.
You may also want to watch:
To mark the anniversary over 50 friends and colleagues, past and present, came together for a surprise tea party. Oliver was presented with a cake in the shape of the Ancient House and a scrapbook of memories. Taken by surprise, Oliver welcomed his guests by saying: “It's been a pleasure to know and work with you all over the last 20 years.”
Ancient House opening times (until November 2008): Monday- Saturday, 10am to 5pm. Admission: Adults £3.20, Concessions £2.65, Children (4-16) £1.75 disabled visitors, over 60s and students.
- 1 Death of woman at country park being treated as 'isolated incident'
- 2 Seven months in prison for burglar who stole cash from church cafe
- 3 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 6 Prince Philip's love of birds remembered at Thetford-based trust
- 7 Councillor accused of spreading 'damaging disinformation' on facemasks
- 8 'We're lost without him' - Family's tribute to teen hit-and-run cyclist
- 9 Burger and Italian restaurant set to open at town's riverside complex
- 10 Four men to appear in court charged with shooting incident