Football club treasurer and coach recognised for her long service
- Credit: Archant
A long-standing football club treasurer and coach has been recognised by the Norfolk FA at their Volunteers Awards.
For 21 years, Joanne Simpson, from Thetford, has helped with the Thetford Bulldogs.
Starting as a mother taking her son to matches, she decided to take over the role of treasurer when another person stepped down.
At the awards ceremony, held at Sprowston Manor, she was recognised with a long service award.
The 55-year-old said it was nice to receive the award but said seeing the youngsters develop is why she has served the club for so long.
You may also want to watch:
“I just do it for kids and I don’t know what I would do without it,” she said. “I like to see them grow up and coming through.
“I am just there to encourage children to enjoy themselves. We don’t care if they can’t kick a football, it is just basically to give them some where to play and enjoy.
- 1 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 2 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 6 Have your say over future of growing estate
- 7 Horse found with maggot-infested wounds wins rosette at equestrian show
- 8 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 9 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 10 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
“And if they can’t kick a ball we develop them and that is why we are a development club.”
Recently, Mrs Simpson took her Level One coaching badges and now runs the under-12s team.
She can also run the line and referee.
Club secretary and coach Kirsty Turner described Mrs Simpson as the “back bone” of the club.
“I nominated her for this award as a massive thank you for all she does at our club,” she said.
“I have been with the club for 16 years and I have worked alongside Jo for all that time and she is does do a lot.”
Thetford Bulldogs is a development charter standard football club, which runs mixed boys and girls football teams from four-years-old.
Wildcat coaching sessions for girls aged between five and 11-year-old are also held by the club.
And there is also a ladies team and the under-16s team called the Thetford Bulldogs FC Belles.
The club is looking for a coach for the new under-7 Avengers team.
Players are also wanted for the under-16 Belles and the ladies teams.
For more information visit Thetford Bulldogs Football Club on Facebook. Or call Kirsty Turner on 07771744437 or email email@example.com
You can also email chairman Ed Sheridan at firstname.lastname@example.org