Town’s new family-friendly radio station launched in a bid to “connect the community through the airwaves”
- Credit: Neil Garrod
A new “family-friendly” radio station promising interactive shows and music to appeal to every taste has been launched in a town.
Thetford’s new radio station, Thetford Radio, has already been broadcasting into homes across the community as families enjoy a wide range of music, local DJs and hosts and soon-to-be coming interactive shows.
The station was founded by Neil Garrod, a local photographer and wedding DJ, after his gigs were being cancelled amid the coronavirus outbreak.
But now Mr Garrod, 42, from Thetford, has found a way “to keep the music playing out” and “bring the community together” from the comfort of his home.
He said: “I’m self-employed and because of everything that is happening someone asked if going to do live streams and within a week and a half Thetford Radio Station was all set up and ready to go.
“We have already done one request show, an 80s and 90s show and the rave yard, which is drum and bass later at night. We also have a house DJ signing up.
“We are looking forward to getting the interactive shows up and running, especially the quiz show. We want to make Thetford Radio family friendly.”
- 1 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 2 Council buys disused building to regenerate town's riverfront
- 3 11 pieces of amazing treasure to see in Thetford right now
- 4 Homes with dedicated support for rough sleepers to be built in Thetford
- 5 Meet the TikTok stylist helping people discover their body shapes
- 6 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 7 Driver sustains neck injuries in two-vehicle crash near Thetford
- 8 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 9 Jess Glynne cancels summer show in Thetford Forest
- 10 Rescued Mariah and Carey recovering after A11 crash
“We are going to cover all genres of music and so far it has really taken off.”
The station is currently self-funded as Mr Garrod works to get it off the ground, but he will soon be offering advertising space and sponsorships to local businesses.
Mr Garrod also wants to involve members of the community, including local DJs and radio hosts, so they can get on the air from the comfort of their homes.
He said: “There is a tab on our website called ‘your own show’ where anyone can broadcast from their own home.
“Another couple of things coming up is ‘spotlight shows’ to highlight businesses once a week, like keeping active, and we will do a show and invite local businesses to message in and get involved.
“We also want to hear from local bands and acts so they can get their music heard by local listeners.”
“Our mission is to help to connect the community through the airwaves and it has been very positive so far.”
Or listen live via the live365 app, https://live365.com/station/Thetford-Radio-a24105.