New commander takes over US Air Force wing at RAF Lakenheath
- Credit: Archant
The new commander of the US Air Force’s 48th Fighter Wing has been welcomed at a ceremony.
Col William Marshall assumes command of the wing, based at RAF Lakenheath, from Col Evan Pettus.
Under Col Pettus, Liberty Wing Airmen generated more than 21,000 sorties and 46,000 flying hours, deployed to 26 countries, and paved the way for the Suffolk base to become the first permanent overseas home of US F-35A Lightning IIs.
Speaking to the airmen Col Pettus said: “You’ve made all the difference, and you’ve lifted this team to incredible heights. I’ll always be in awe of the things I saw you do and cherish the stories I have to tell.”
Prior to his new assignment, Col Marshall was the commander of the 332nd Expeditionary Operations Group in Southwest Asia.
You may also want to watch:
Col Marshall said: “I am humbled and honoured to have the opportunity to lead this wing.”
- 1 Father-of-five in court accused of murdering wife after body found in country park pond
- 2 46-year-old man charged with woman's murder
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 Four schools set to expand due to new housing developments
- 5 Seven months in prison for burglar who stole cash from church cafe
- 6 Bosses at hospital criticised for whistleblower 'witch-hunt' step down
- 7 House-to-house enquiries take place after woman's body identified
- 8 Death of woman at country park being treated as 'isolated incident'
- 9 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 10 Under-50s to be called for vaccines as Moderna jab arrives in England