New commander takes over US Air Force wing at RAF Lakenheath
- Credit: Archant
The new commander of the US Air Force’s 48th Fighter Wing has been welcomed at a ceremony.
Col William Marshall assumes command of the wing, based at RAF Lakenheath, from Col Evan Pettus.
Under Col Pettus, Liberty Wing Airmen generated more than 21,000 sorties and 46,000 flying hours, deployed to 26 countries, and paved the way for the Suffolk base to become the first permanent overseas home of US F-35A Lightning IIs.
Speaking to the airmen Col Pettus said: “You’ve made all the difference, and you’ve lifted this team to incredible heights. I’ll always be in awe of the things I saw you do and cherish the stories I have to tell.”
Prior to his new assignment, Col Marshall was the commander of the 332nd Expeditionary Operations Group in Southwest Asia.
You may also want to watch:
Col Marshall said: “I am humbled and honoured to have the opportunity to lead this wing.”
- 1 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 2 'Beers, big TVS and men's mental health': New barbershop to open in town
- 3 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 4 Teen to mark first ever flight - by jumping out of the plane for charity
- 5 Hotel owner providing free lunches for those in need
- 6 New £39million hub officially opens to the public
- 7 Norfolk nursery nominated for national award
- 8 Teen stabbed in Thetford
- 9 Part of A11 closed due to crash involving motorbike
- 10 From infighting to foreign secretary - Elizabeth Truss' rise to success