New car park and warehouse are boost for town
- Credit: Archant
A new warehouse and car park for a Thetford business have been hailed as a positive move for the town.
Both are being built on Caxton Way, for manufacturer TROX UK.
Planning was agreed by Breckland District Council in March for the 20,000 sq.ft warehouse, along with a canopy that will link the new facility to the existing building on the site.
And an additional 42 spaces in its car park means that there less vehicles will be parked on the roads and can be housed on the site.
TROX UK manufactures and sells air conditioning and ventilation systems and components and has been based at Thetford since 1971 with around 150 people working from the site at Caxton Road.
You may also want to watch:
The multi-million-pound project is seen as an investment by parent company TROX GmbH and a vote of confidence in the future of both the business and the town.
Thetford town councillor Denis Crawford said: “It is always very positive to have a local business expanding. They have come from small beginnings and it is good to see them investing more into the area.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Fighter jets from RAF Lakenheath to fly over London NFL games
- 3 GPS equipment stolen from five tractors in village
- 4 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
- 5 New phase of consultation over major estate revamp to begin
- 6 'Like a little Hitler' - Fury as row breaks out at council meeting
- 7 Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab to share access to mansion after PM ruling
- 8 Community should have bigger say on development, says councillors
- 9 Man wanted for Thetford assault found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 10 Do you remember when Tornado's rumble caused village uproar?
“Thetford has a problem with parking especially on the industrial estates and for TROX UK to invest that much into helping with parking relieves the issue.”
When completed in early February 2019, the new facilities will reduce TROX UK’s carbon footprint and reduce its ongoing costs.
Mr Crawford added: “This is positive for the whole of Thetford and I wish other companies would be able think of creative ideas to solve parking issues.”
To replace the parking that would have been covered by the construction of the warehouse, the original proposal was to provide additional parking on a triangular shaped area next to the building.
But using the modern structural modelling and analysis software other options for additional parking were considered.
By allowing for the car park to be built within the warehouse TROX UK are planning to use the additional space outside of the building, that was planned to be used as parking, to house waste storage and recycling with the possibility of it being used in further expansions.