MP Elizabeth Truss visits Thetford Grammar School to see new investment
- Credit: Archant
South West Norfolk MP Elizabeth Truss visited a Breckland school to meet with its new director and proprietor and discuss investment plans.
In July Thetford Grammar School was taken over by China Financial Services Holdings Ltd (CFSH) and the company Thetford Grammar School Ltd was formed.
Jay Liu, director, said investment plans for the 900-year old school include establishing it as a hub of educational excellence.
New iMacs, iPads, interactive boards and school signage have been provided.
Mrs Truss said: “It is great to see this investment in Thetford and Thetford Grammar School.
You may also want to watch:
“The renovation and redecoration that is underway is extremely impressive and I am pleased to see links being built with China. It is a huge opportunity to share educational excellence to the benefit of all”
Mr Liu studied engineering in the UK and is keen to help with investment in the town.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 3 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 4 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 5 Former school to become homeless support hub in £1.7m revamp
- 6 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 7 Driver had drugs and £300 cash after being stopped on A11
- 8 5 virtual games to play with family and friends over Zoom
- 9 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
- 10 Police amazed no one hurt after tree falls on Fiat 500
Former governor and seventh generation Thetford Grammar School former pupil Jo Pearson agreed it would be “great for engineering in Thetford” and said much could be established in terms of links with the school and the engineering companies in the town.
Thetford Grammar headmaster Mark Bedford said: “It was really lovely to have Elizabeth Truss visit the school.
“I know she has been a friend of Thetford Grammar School for many years and has visited on numerous occasions. The visit provided a great chance for Liz to see the improvements and progress we are achieving.
“With her keen interest in Thetford education, and technology we certainly share a lot in common.”
The visit, on Friday, October 20, concluded on Bridge Street - outside the school’s front entrance - after the school raised concerns about the road and safety issues.
The road narrows and is a 20mph limit but the school has raised concerns that drivers are still driving going too fast and cyclists use the pavement.
Mrs Truss urged “further consideration from the council on this matter”.