MP Elizabeth Truss visits Thetford Grammar School to see new investment
- Credit: Archant
South West Norfolk MP Elizabeth Truss visited a Breckland school to meet with its new director and proprietor and discuss investment plans.
In July Thetford Grammar School was taken over by China Financial Services Holdings Ltd (CFSH) and the company Thetford Grammar School Ltd was formed.
Jay Liu, director, said investment plans for the 900-year old school include establishing it as a hub of educational excellence.
New iMacs, iPads, interactive boards and school signage have been provided.
Mrs Truss said: “It is great to see this investment in Thetford and Thetford Grammar School.
“The renovation and redecoration that is underway is extremely impressive and I am pleased to see links being built with China. It is a huge opportunity to share educational excellence to the benefit of all”
Mr Liu studied engineering in the UK and is keen to help with investment in the town.
- 1 Driver sustains neck injuries in two-vehicle crash near Thetford
- 2 Woman accused of stealing £11k of printer ink across East Anglia
- 3 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 4 Schoolgirl racially abused by boys in Mildenhall play park
- 5 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 6 The photographer with an eye for catching dogs in flight
- 7 Robber armed with Taser steals cash from Mildenhall shop
- 8 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 9 Person taken to hospital after farm vehicle crashes into wall
- 10 Disruptions likely after warnings of dense fog set to last two days
Former governor and seventh generation Thetford Grammar School former pupil Jo Pearson agreed it would be “great for engineering in Thetford” and said much could be established in terms of links with the school and the engineering companies in the town.
Thetford Grammar headmaster Mark Bedford said: “It was really lovely to have Elizabeth Truss visit the school.
“I know she has been a friend of Thetford Grammar School for many years and has visited on numerous occasions. The visit provided a great chance for Liz to see the improvements and progress we are achieving.
“With her keen interest in Thetford education, and technology we certainly share a lot in common.”
The visit, on Friday, October 20, concluded on Bridge Street - outside the school’s front entrance - after the school raised concerns about the road and safety issues.
The road narrows and is a 20mph limit but the school has raised concerns that drivers are still driving going too fast and cyclists use the pavement.
Mrs Truss urged “further consideration from the council on this matter”.