Chemical spillage forces newly-opened leisure centre to be evacuated
- Credit: Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service
A leisure centre in Mildenhall was evacuated following a chemical spillage in its plant room.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service received a callout to Mildenhall Hub, in Sheldrick Way, at 10.30am on Sunday.
A spokesman for the fire service confirmed five engines were at the scene of the spillage, while a further six appliances are on standby.
However, a stop was called shortly after 2pm after the spillage was contained.
Mildenhall Hub, which is home to an Abbeycroft Leisure gym, swimming pool, library and school, has gradually opened in recent weeks as part of a scheme to bring a number of public services under one roof.
You may also want to watch:
The centre's official opening is due to held on Friday.
- 1 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 2 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 Parts of Norfolk at risk of heavy downpours
- 4 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 5 Hotel owner providing free lunches for those in need
- 6 'Beers, big TVS and men's mental health': New barbershop to open in town
- 7 Part of A11 closed due to crash involving motorbike
- 8 Teen stabbed in Thetford
- 9 'A kick in the teeth' - Sainsbury's staff angry at Boxing Day 'gift'
- 10 Norfolk nursery nominated for national award