Runner to complete 10 marathons in 10 days to raise funds for junior parkrun
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A Norfolk runner is preparing to take on 10 marathons in 10 days to help raise money to start a junior parkrun event.
Thetford parkrun director Mel Sturman is keen to launch the new event by the end of the year but needs to raise £3,000 to cover the initial set up costs.
And this year she is hoping to raise money towards the junior parkrun event as she takes on the marathon challenges.
Miss Sturman, who lives in Thetford, said she hopes the junior event can encourage children to enjoy running, help with their health and build their confidence.
“One of my focuses as a healthcare worker is child obesity,” she said. “For me it is also recognising that young people can suffer from mental health and social issues.
You may also want to watch:
“They will get something out of the parkrun. It is something for all abilities.”
She added: “My aim once we have got it up and running is to get the schools involved with it.”
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 Death of woman at country park being treated as 'isolated incident'
- 3 Seven months in prison for burglar who stole cash from church cafe
- 4 'We're lost without him' - Family's tribute to teen hit-and-run cyclist
- 5 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 6 Councillor accused of spreading 'damaging disinformation' on facemasks
- 7 Burger and Italian restaurant set to open at town's riverside complex
- 8 Investigation launched after swan killed by illegal fishing net
- 9 'We know who they are' - two thieves raid church foodbank
- 10 Grade II-listed pub could be turned into six flats
From June 28th until July 7 the 47-year-old will take on the Great Barrow Challenge and from August 18 until August 28 she will head to Kent for the Saxons, Vikings, and Normans event.
“The Kent one will be the tough one mentally as it will be the same route every day,” she said. “I just thought I would push it a little bit more and I thought it would be a great fundraising initiative.”
The popular 5km Thetford parkrun is now in its fifth year and regularly attracts more than 200 people every Saturday morning at the Abbey Meadows.
The junior run, designed for four to 11-year-olds, will be a 2km route and will run at 9.30am on Sunday mornings from a location to be confirmed.
Miss Sturman said the different location and day will enable families to attend both events.
The keen runner is also on track to complete her personal challenge of completing the World Marathon Majors before she turns 50. She has already taken on London, Berlin and New York and is set to take on Chicago in October and Tokyo next year before completing Boston and her 300th marathon.
To donate visit the Thetford parkrun website and include junior parkrun or Mel’s 10 in 10 in the note section.