Karys Matthams, from Thetford, is tackling the London Marathon for the national deafblind charity Sense next month. For Karys, 32, a teacher at Breckland Middle School in Brandon, it will be the first time she braves the 26-mile distance.
Karys Matthams, from Thetford, is tackling the London Marathon for the national deafblind charity Sense next month.
For Karys, 32, a teacher at Breckland Middle School in Brandon, it will be the first time she braves the 26-mile distance.
She took up running four years ago to get fit and help de-stress after work.
She said: “I wanted to run for Sense as it offers a vital lifeline to deafblind people, offering them support and teaching skills to live as independently as possible.”
Karys wants to raise �1,500 for Sense by running the marathon and is also
aiming to boost funds with a non-uniform day at her school.
- 1 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 2 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
- 3 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 4 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
- 5 Driver who altered date on expired Blue Badge ordered to pay out £3,500
- 6 Shed left destroyed after garden fire in west Suffolk
- 7 'People won't be able to afford to eat' - Locals warn Truss on living costs
- 8 Dog owners urged to take 'five-second test' before walking pets in heat
- 9 Council fighting not to have to publish details of golf club talks
- 10 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
Karys can be sponsored by logging on to www.justgiving.com/karysmatthams
Meanwhile, Stevan Wilson, sales manager at EMG in Thetford, is running the April 26 marathon for the charity Phabkids.
Stevan, a type 1 diabetic, has lost five stone during training and runs six nights a week after work getting ready for the big day. He hopes to complete the course in under four hours.
Stevan's fundraising page is www.justgiving.com/stevanwilson