Man dies after being hit by train
A 21-year-old man died after being struck by a train at Brandon railway station.The 5.54pm Norwich to Nottingham service was travelling through the station towards Ely at full speed at around 6.
A 21-year-old man died after being struck by a train at Brandon railway station.
The 5.54pm Norwich to Nottingham service was travelling through the station towards Ely at full speed at around 6.40pm on Thursday when the incident happened. It is not being treated as suspicious.
Fire crews from Brandon and Thetford and local police attended before officers from the British Transport Police (BTP) arrived to recover the body of the man who was said to be from Londonderry.
A BTP spokesman said: “We can confirm that a 21-year-old man from Londonderry died after he was struck by a train at Brandon rail station. A file is being prepared for the coroner.”
You may also want to watch:
The train was able to continue just after 8pm as far as Ely where it terminated for further investigation and passengers were transferred onto the next available service at 9.13pm to Nottingham.
Trains were able to run from Norwich to Thetford for the remainder of the evening but all those travelling to Ely and beyond were re-routed to Cambridge via Stowmarket.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 5 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 6 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 8 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 9 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
A Network Rail spokesman said the line was closed between Santon Downham and Lakenheath while emergency services dealt with the incident.