Man dies after being hit by train
A 21-year-old man died after being struck by a train at Brandon railway station.The 5.54pm Norwich to Nottingham service was travelling through the station towards Ely at full speed at around 6.
A 21-year-old man died after being struck by a train at Brandon railway station.
The 5.54pm Norwich to Nottingham service was travelling through the station towards Ely at full speed at around 6.40pm on Thursday when the incident happened. It is not being treated as suspicious.
Fire crews from Brandon and Thetford and local police attended before officers from the British Transport Police (BTP) arrived to recover the body of the man who was said to be from Londonderry.
A BTP spokesman said: “We can confirm that a 21-year-old man from Londonderry died after he was struck by a train at Brandon rail station. A file is being prepared for the coroner.”
You may also want to watch:
The train was able to continue just after 8pm as far as Ely where it terminated for further investigation and passengers were transferred onto the next available service at 9.13pm to Nottingham.
Trains were able to run from Norwich to Thetford for the remainder of the evening but all those travelling to Ely and beyond were re-routed to Cambridge via Stowmarket.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 3 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 4 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 5 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 6 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 7 Sugar beet price shoots up - but not all Suffolk farmers are won over
- 8 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
A Network Rail spokesman said the line was closed between Santon Downham and Lakenheath while emergency services dealt with the incident.