Election 2021: Candidates confirmed for six West Suffolk Council by-elections
- Credit: Archant
Six seats at West Suffolk Council are set to be contested next month for the 2021 local elections, with candidates now having been confirmed for the polls.
The authority has confirmed six by-elections are taking place on May 6, alongside the police and crime commissioner and Suffolk County Council elections.
Those six are the Moreton Hall, Whepstead & Wickhambrook, Abbeygate and Southgate wards where incumbents all resigned, while the seats for Lakenheath and Clare, Hundon and Kedington will be contested following the deaths of David Gathercole and Jim Meikle respectively.
The candidates for the six seats are as follows:
Abbeygate: Cheryl Godber (L), Julia Wakelam (G), Nick Wiseman (C)
You may also want to watch:
Clare, Hundon & Kedington: Nick Clarke (C), Kerry Rogers (L)
Lakenheath: Layla Britton (L), David Chandler (Ind), Gerald Kelly (Ind), Colin Noble (C)
- 1 Repeat offender given £600 fine for fly-tipping next to public bin
- 2 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 3 Woman in 80s suffers 'life-changing' injuries in collision
- 4 Noise warning issued amid RAF Lakenheath flight training
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 7 Candidate says 7,000 rejected ballots shows PCC voting system flawed
- 8 Man stole bicycle from outside town shop
- 9 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 10 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
Moreton Hall: Cyrille Bouche (L), Birgitte Mager (C), Barry Thomas (Ind)
Southgate: Chris Dexter-Mills (G), Helen Korfanty (LD), Richard O'Driscoll (L), Sarah Stamp (C)
Whepstead & Wickhambrook: Robin Davies (L), Vicki Martin (G), Sarah Pugh (C)
Key: C – Conservative, L – Labour, LD – Liberal Democrats, G – Green Party, Ind – Independent.
The asterisk denotes a sitting councillor in that authority.
The Greens held Abbeygate from 2019, while Jim Meikle at Clare, Hundon & Kedington and David Gathercole in Lakenheath had both been Independent councillors.
The Conservatives will be hoping to retain Moreton Hall, Southgate and Whepstead & Wickhambrook.