Kelly stand-down throws up A11 fears
Fears were raised last night that the final dualling of the A11 could stall again after the transport minister Ruth Kelly announced she was standing down.
Fears were raised last week that the final dualling of the A11 could stall again after the transport minister Ruth Kelly announced she was standing down.
Ms Kelly, who currently holds the key to the £135m project to upgrade the final single carriageway stretch of road, yesterday said she was resigning from her ministerial position to spend more time with her family.
But campaigners have insisted there must be no backtracking and urged her to sign off the A11 upgrade between Thetford and Barton Mills Fiveways roundabout before she leaves.
Ten thousand people have so far signed a petition, launched by Norfolk County Council last month, calling on Ms Kelly to give the go-ahead to the scheme which could see work start at the end of 2010.
You may also want to watch:
But there were concerns yesterday that the project that has been in the pipeline for the last 37 years could be put on the backburner again when Gordon Brown appoints a new transport minister.
Christopher Fraser, MP for South West Norfolk, wrote to the Department for Transport asking for assurances that the A11 scheme was not put in jeopardy by Ms Kelly's resignation. He also urged the outgoing minister to approve the upgrade before she leaves the cabinet.
- 1 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 2 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 3 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 4 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 5 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 6 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 7 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 8 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
“I am determined to ensure that it does not become yet another example of an issue that is sidelined by the government as a result of cabinet reshuffles.”
“I have now had assurances from three successive ministers that calls for the A11 upgrade are being taken seriously and will do all I can to get those same assurances from Ruth Kelly's successor - but only time will tell. It now up to the government to walk up to the mark and deal with this issue,” he said.
The news comes a day after 100 business leaders from Norfolk's largest companies, which employ a total of 30,000 people, sent a letter to Ms Kelly urging her to unlock the county's economic potential and dual the A11 as soon as possible.
It emerged yesterday that the Highways Agency was set to publish draft orders for the nine mile scheme at the end of October.
Daniel Cox, leader of Norfolk County Council, said he was sorry to see that Ms Kelly was leaving the cabinet, but campaigners would be seeking a meeting with the new secretary of state at the earliest opportunity.
“We must now redouble our efforts to ensure the new secretary of state is left in absolutely no doubt about how strongly people in Norfolk and Suffolk feel about the continued injustice of leaving the remaining single carriageway A11 undualled,” he said.
A Department for Transport spokesman said departmental business would continue as usual.
The petition can also be signed at www.EDP24.co.uk, Norfolk libraries and Norwich Bus Station until October 8.