Junior minister roles for local MPs
South West Norfolk MP Elizabeth Truss spoke of her delight after securing a junior minister role in the coalition government.
The Conservative, who was elected in 2010, was appointed parliamentary under secretary of state for early years at the Department for Education this week.
She has been a vocal campaigner for reforms to the early years child care since her election and has presented papers and written articles that have called for a reduction in red tape and bureaucracy allowing for more affordable and available child care.
Ms Truss said: “I am delighted and feel very honoured to have been offered this position as parliamentary under secretary of state . I look forward to working within the Department for Education and formulating policy that has real benefit for families not only in South West Norfolk but across the UK as a whole.”
“I have found the last two years doing my job very fulfilling and interesting. In modern politics you can actually have a very strong influence from the backbenches; every job is what you make of it.”
West Suffolk MP Matthew Hancock also secured a minister role as part of a cabinet reshuffle by David Cameron and was appointed joint parliamentary under secretary for the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and the Department for Education
He said: “I passionately believe in the importance of turning around our economy, helping businesses create jobs, and improving skills and apprenticeships. It is a huge honour to serve in Government as well as serving my constituents in West Suffolk. I’ll give it my all.”
- 1 Homes with dedicated support for rough sleepers to be built in Thetford
- 2 Council buys disused building to regenerate town's riverfront
- 3 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 4 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 Rescued Mariah and Carey recovering after A11 crash
- 6 'Threat to democracy' - Opposition fears council's constitution change
- 7 Council leader refuses to condemn Downing Street parties
- 8 Liz Truss sidesteps leadership question as she backs 'fantastic' PM
- 9 Jess Glynne cancels summer show in Thetford Forest
- 10 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer