Junior minister roles for local MPs
South West Norfolk MP Elizabeth Truss spoke of her delight after securing a junior minister role in the coalition government.
The Conservative, who was elected in 2010, was appointed parliamentary under secretary of state for early years at the Department for Education this week.
She has been a vocal campaigner for reforms to the early years child care since her election and has presented papers and written articles that have called for a reduction in red tape and bureaucracy allowing for more affordable and available child care.
Ms Truss said: “I am delighted and feel very honoured to have been offered this position as parliamentary under secretary of state . I look forward to working within the Department for Education and formulating policy that has real benefit for families not only in South West Norfolk but across the UK as a whole.”
“I have found the last two years doing my job very fulfilling and interesting. In modern politics you can actually have a very strong influence from the backbenches; every job is what you make of it.”
You may also want to watch:
West Suffolk MP Matthew Hancock also secured a minister role as part of a cabinet reshuffle by David Cameron and was appointed joint parliamentary under secretary for the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and the Department for Education
He said: “I passionately believe in the importance of turning around our economy, helping businesses create jobs, and improving skills and apprenticeships. It is a huge honour to serve in Government as well as serving my constituents in West Suffolk. I’ll give it my all.”
- 1 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 2 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 5 Driver had drugs and £300 cash after being stopped on A11
- 6 Former school to become homeless support hub in £1.7m revamp
- 7 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 8 Specialist exercises for 'less mobile' during lockdown
- 9 5 virtual games to play with family and friends over Zoom
- 10 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown