It’s time to nominate an unsung hero and deserving individual for the Thetford Awards Recognising Achievement
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
It is an event that celebrates the hard work of unsung heroes and achievers in the community.
And nominations are now open for the Thetford Awards Recognising Achievement, known as the TARAs.
Now in its third year, the awards recognise volunteers, community groups and young people who have strived to help other people.
Mark Robinson, local councillor and businessman, organised the awards to honour and give praise to those who give a lot to the community but normally do so without receiving deserved recognition.
He said: “It’s fantastic to organise such a positive event for our town.
You may also want to watch:
“I look forward to building on the success of previous years, with 250 nominations last year it is going to be great to build on the momentum achieved.”
There are six categories to nominate an individual for; Volunteer, Young Person of the year, Sporting, Good Neighbour, Business, and Community Event.
- 1 Police continue probe into murder of woman at country park
- 2 Brandon man handed three-year restraining order by judge
- 3 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 4 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 5 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 6 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 7 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 8 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 9 Woman, 73, convicted of forging second deceased partner's will
- 10 Father-of-five in court accused of murdering wife after body found in country park pond
Three other categories, the Louise Cook Memorial Award, Lifetime Achievement and Outstanding Contribution are judged by a panel.
The Times will be supporting the awards again this year.
Rebecca Murphy, senior reporter, said: “We’re pleased to be backing this fantastic event for another year.
“The awards are a great way to recognise the positive impact people can make on other people and the town.
“I would encourage anyone who knows someone who has gone above or beyond the cause, or who they feel deserves to be recognised, to nominate them.
“I look forward to hearing about people’s achievements.”
The awards ceremony will be held at the Carnegie Room on Friday, February 2 2018.
There will be a meal and live entertainment.
Tina Cunnell, Thetford town clerk, added: “The TARAs are a great opportunity to celebrate the fantastic community successes of Thetford’s organisation and extraordinarily individuals.”
To nominate an individual, group or business, fill in the nomination form on this webpage or email Mr Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out how to get involved in the awards call Mr Robinson on 07864882768.