Huge funding boost for Thetford
Rebecca Gough Nearly �2m of government money has been secured for improvements in Thetford, despite fears funding was under threat because of government cuts.
Nearly �2m of government money has been secured for improvements in Thetford, despite fears funding was under threat because of government cuts.
The �1.7m was allocated as part of an original growth point status grant, which has already been assigned to projects in the town.
Part of the funding is for a new skate park, while a substantial amount has been set aside for the refurbishment of the footway and cycleway of Haling Path.
Funds for improvements to the appearance of the town centre have also been assigned with cosmetic work planned to shop fronts and buildings, and to improve signage, street furniture and street lighting.
William Nunn, leader of Breckland Council and chairman of Moving Thetford Forward, said: “This is a major coup for the Moving Thetford Forward programme and the town as a whole.
- 1 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 2 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 3 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 8 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 9 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
“Work can now continue on a number of projects that will really make a difference to the residents of Thetford.”
Moving Thetford Forward had been asked to demonstrate the programme was meeting the government's localism agenda before the funds were released.
As part of the improvement programme, a meeting has now been set up for young people in the town to meet with specialist designers of the town's proposed skate park.
This will take place at Breckland Leisure Centre between 5pm and 7pm on Thursday, September 16 to discuss ideas and designs for the park.
Anyone wishing to attend should email email@example.com.
For more information on the Moving Thetford Forward project visit www.movingthetfordforward.com.