Huge fire breaks out in Thetford Forest
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
Firefighters from Norfolk and Suffolk helped to tackle a huge fire in Thetford Forest.
Firefighters were called to the area of Thetford Forest, between Santon Downham and Brandon, at 2.23pm yesterday.
When they arrived, they discovered 800sq m of trees and undergrowth well alight.
Fire appliances from Thetford, Brandon, Bury, Newmarket and Ipswich, along with water carriers from Hethersett and Newmarket tackled the blaze.
The flames were out by 8.30pm, with firefighters then dampening down the site.
You may also want to watch:
It is not yet clear what started the fire, but Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service urged people to take extra care.
On Twitter, a spokesman said: “Due to the dry conditions we would like to urge members of the public to be extra vigilant when around forestry or heathland.”
- 1 Training at RAF base given positive rating by Ofsted
- 2 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 3 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 6 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 7 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 8 WATCH: Norfolk troops train ahead of peacekeeping mission in Mali
- 9 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 10 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!