Huge fire breaks out in Thetford Forest
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
Firefighters from Norfolk and Suffolk helped to tackle a huge fire in Thetford Forest.
Firefighters were called to the area of Thetford Forest, between Santon Downham and Brandon, at 2.23pm yesterday.
When they arrived, they discovered 800sq m of trees and undergrowth well alight.
Fire appliances from Thetford, Brandon, Bury, Newmarket and Ipswich, along with water carriers from Hethersett and Newmarket tackled the blaze.
The flames were out by 8.30pm, with firefighters then dampening down the site.
You may also want to watch:
It is not yet clear what started the fire, but Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service urged people to take extra care.
On Twitter, a spokesman said: “Due to the dry conditions we would like to urge members of the public to be extra vigilant when around forestry or heathland.”
- 1 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
- 2 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 5 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
- 6 Vast farm network aims to be a trailblazer for wildlife
- 7 Man dumped rubbish at beauty spot after he 'forgot to put his bins out'
- 8 Suffolk serviceman named among America's top 12 airmen
- 9 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 10 Norfolk's police deal with sharp rise in mental health-related callouts