Grand addition to the fleet
IT is more than 40 miles from the nearest port.But an inland Breckland tourist attraction welcomed a grand addition to its fleet at the weekend with the launch of the largest replica of the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier.
IT is more than 40 miles from the nearest port.
But an inland Breckland tourist attraction welcomed a grand addition to its fleet at the weekend with the launch of the largest replica of the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier.
The 18ft long ship - believed to be the largest handmade model in the world - is the latest arrival at a toy exhibition centre at Snetterton.
The unveiling of the replica of the US naval vessel, which took more than two years to make, comes after plans were approved earlier this year to create a “world class” Model and Toy Expo at the Snetterton Sunday market site.
You may also want to watch:
Officials from the tourist attraction said they hoped the arrival of the USS Enterprise would attract tourists from across the country and Europe.
Trevor Warner, owner of the Snetterton Park site, said he was delighted to see the two tonne ship arrive, which was commissioned in the Philippines. He added that the hand crafted model, which is worth more than �40,000, was accurate and to scale in every detail to the real USS Enterprise.
- 1 Man charged with supplying Class A drugs in Thetford
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 Viking themed children's play area confirmed at town's historic park
- 4 'He's a dear little dog' - Thieves steal family pet Arthur
- 5 Rough sleepers' plea to be 'kept inside' as council secures £635k funding
- 6 Shoppers support market town traders as second lockdown lifts
- 7 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 8 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 9 Stephen Fry voices heart-warming animation of rescued blind horse
- 10 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
He said: “It had to be something that people recognised and there are certain ships that are iconic.”
“I reckon this will bring people from Europe, There is nothing like it in the world and amazingly, it is free to view. It is a massive scoop for Breckland. No other idiot will do this!”
The regeneration of the site next to Snetterton Circuit will also see the creation of a new Sunday market area, garden centre and tank museum, which will be run by the East England Military Museum.