Family moved out of one rat-infested home and into another with vermin
PUBLISHED: 16:11 27 June 2019 | UPDATED: 16:11 27 June 2019
A family have been left in turmoil after being moved from a rat-infested house by a housing association into another home which also had rats.
They were living in a Freebridge Community Housing property but a fire caused by faulty electrics two years ago left the family of eight homeless.
Freebridge rehomed them to a new property near Fakenham but the mother started to see rats and droppings in her daughter's bedroom. She reported it to the association but they had to remain in the home.
The 32-year-old, who asked not to be named, said: "When they moved us in there it was already rat-infested. They hadn't checked before they moved us in and they were in the loft.
"They were eating the electrical wires and the roof joists. On the driveway there were dead rats and all down the road.
"I even saw a rat sat in our kitchen eating chocolate. There was no insulation in the walls so they could move through the cavities.
"They had chewed a hole through my daughter's ceiling which was above her bed."
Sophie Bates, director of housing at Freebridge, said: "Once the severity of the situation was understood we immediately arranged for them to move into temporary accommodation to allow the problem to be dealt with.
"We are sorry for the problems that the family have experienced."
The family thought that they had escaped the infestation when they were told they would be moved to a property near Brandon. But when they arrived they found the house in need of repair, as well as being full of dead rats.
She said: "When I came here there was a dead rat in the shed.
"It went from bad to worse. They said they sent in a professional cleaner in that morning when there was filth down the wall. It was grimy, we were devastated, my daughter broke down crying."
Ms Bates said: "We do accept the fact that the family's subsequent move to the property could have been dealt with more successfully and are continuing to work with her to ensure that her family are able to return to their home in the very near future."
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Thetford and Brandon Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.