Free swimming for over 60s
Over 60s will be able to go swimming for free next year after leisure providers in west Suffolk embraced a government initiative.Forest Heath District Council and Anglia Community Leisure are taking advantage of the scheme to offer free lessons and swimming sessions at their pools in Mildenhall and Newmarket.
Over 60s will be able to go swimming for free next year after leisure providers in west Suffolk embraced a government initiative.
Forest Heath District Council and Anglia Community Leisure are taking advantage of the scheme to offer free lessons and swimming sessions at their pools in Mildenhall and Newmarket.
The council is being offered £16,554 of government money for the financial years of 2009/10 and 2010/11 and the newly formed Anglia Community Leisure (ACL) has agreed to accept any financial risk incurred by offering free swimming to the over 60s over those two years.
Forest Heath District Council and ACL have also expressed their interest in providing free swimming for children aged 16 and under, but have not agreed figures yet.
Richard Balfe, chairman of ACL, said: “We are delighted to be working with the council to offer free swimming to everyone over 60. Swimming is the perfect way to keep fit and healthy whatever your age so we hope even more of our senior residents will now come along to reap the benefits for free.”
- 1 Part of A134 closed after crash between lorry and car
- 2 Woman breaks down in tears as she denies making up sex assaults
- 3 Forest ride in memory of 'lively character' and popular mountain biker
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 6 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 7 Huge farm network is helping rare Brecks wildlife in field margins
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Decision delayed on changes at South Norfolk equestrian centre
- 10 'Don’t try and book until the NHS says it is your turn' — PM on booster rollout