Former town mayor Leslie dies aged 80
A former mayor of Thetford, who helped bring hundreds of jobs to the town during its London overspill days, has died at the age of 80. Leslie Broadhurst, who was a director at the Danepak bacon factory, was the last mayor of Thetford Borough Council before a local government reorganisation in 1974.
A former mayor of Thetford, who helped bring hundreds of jobs to the town during its London overspill days, has died at the age of 80.
Leslie Broadhurst, who was a director at the Danepak bacon factory, was the last mayor of Thetford Borough Council before a local government reorganisation in 1974.
The retired businessman was also a local magistrate, chamber of commerce officer, Rotary president, and member of other voluntary bodies, passed away at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on October 22.
Mr Broadhurst and his family moved to Thetford in 1965 when he became personnel manager at Danepak Ltd, in Caxton Way, which was one of the first big companies to move to the town under its expansion scheme.
You may also want to watch:
The businessman became director of personnel in May 1969 on the eve of his election to the borough council for the first time. He was made mayor in 1972.
Mr Broadhurst retired from Danepak in 1988, but continued to be involved in the local community. The husband, father, and grandfather, who lived at North Lopham, was also a prolific artist and devoted the work of two major exhibitions at Euston Hall and RAF Honington to Rotary charities.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 3 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 4 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 5 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 6 Sugar beet price shoots up - but not all Suffolk farmers are won over
- 7 Neil, 85, touches hearts after taking part in memory walk for residents
- 8 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 9 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
His funeral will take place at Bury St Edmunds Crematorium on November 12 at 11.15am.