First look at how Thetford’s riverside may be transformed
This line drawing gives the first indication of how Thetford’s Anchor site might look following proposed regeneration works.
Proposals were put forward earlier this year to transform the Bridge Street site into shops, restaurants and even a cinema as part of a wider regeneration scheme in the town.
A final design will be settled on when interested parties have signed on the dotted line but the drawing is based on expressions of interest from restaurants, a cinema chain and a hotelier.
The sketch shows a pedestrianised river frontage with chairs and tables behind which a cafe, restaurant, hotel and cinema sit. There would also be a car park with five fewer spaces than the site currently has.
The site is currently home to the town’s bus station which could move to a site on Minstergate if plans go ahead.
You may also want to watch:
A Breckland Council spokesman said the drawings gave a general impression of what could be achieved but stressed the scheme had not gone out to the market yet.
The sketches will go before the Moving Thetford Forward Board, which will then, if happy with the sketches, give approval to work up to planning application standard.
- 1 7 of the best indoor activities in Norfolk
- 2 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 3 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 4 Masked burglar hit victim with fake gun and threatened to shoot family dog
- 5 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 6 Flood-torn community 'in fear' every time it rains
- 7 Town's county councillors vow to tackle neglected underpasses
- 8 Flowers and windmill stolen from baby's grave
- 9 Norfolk police ready extra officers for delayed Covid 'Freedom Day'
- 10 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
Around �1m has been allocated by Moving Thetford Forward for the 25,000 sq ft area although it is not yet known how soon work could begin.
The scheme is part of a wider aim to regenerate the town with 5,000 new homes, 6,000 new jobs, 40 hectares of employment land and improved education, health and transport services.
Meanwhile, a parish poll will be held within the next six weeks to determine whether people are in favour of relocating the bus station.
An overwhelming majority voted in favour of the referendum at a parish meeting on Monday.
• An information bus will visit Thetford to outline proposals being put forward for regeneration in the town.
The exhibition will detail plans put forward by Moving Thetford Forward for the Anchor Site and Minstergate, and offer the chance for people to ask questions.
The mobile public exhibition will take place on July 26 and August 6 at the Bridge Street Car Park between 10.30am and 12.30pm, Sainsbury’s car park between 12.30pm and 1.30pm, and Minstergate car park between 1.30pm and 3.30pm.