Father and son's charity dash
A father and son team from Thetford are planning to motor nearly 1,000 miles in a bashed up old banger to raise money for a local children's charity.Mark Giles and his son Samuel will set off from Calais on a mad dash to Barcelona in a decrepit 12-year-old Ford Escort on May 22.
A father and son team from Thetford are planning to motor nearly 1,000 miles in a bashed up old banger to raise money for a local children's charity.
Mark Giles and his son Samuel will set off from Calais on a mad dash to Barcelona in a decrepit 12-year-old Ford Escort on May 22.
The pair will join 67 other cars in the escapade which will put their �195 car to a brutal test.
Mark, who is managing director of R&P Distribution Ltd in Thetford, said: “The car is a 12-years-old and we think it has done a few more miles than recorded on the clock but we're confident that it will do us proud
“It has a powerful 1.6 litre engine that doesn't smoke when in top gear, three head rests, electric windows on the passenger side and a rear windscreen wiper.
“When we bought it we were advised that the stains on the seat would come out and the 1,000 miles on the clock were genuine.
- 1 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 2 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 3 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
- 4 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 5 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 6 Food review, Lime Kiln Kitchen: ‘A truly relaxing place for Sunday lunch’
- 7 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 8 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 9 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
- 10 New Latin American restaurant opening at Center Parcs in Elveden
“It is not a race but more a case of getting across the finish line.”
The pair will be raising funds for The Action for Children Family Centre, located in Raymond Street, Thetford, which works with vulnerable children and their families.
To sponsor Mark and Samuel call 01842 755111 and ask for Vicki.